Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was planning to go for a CustoMac Pro. But after seeing so many success stories with new Sandy Bridge processor, I am not sure. I enquired with a dealer nearby. According to him, Core i7 2600 won't be available here for a few weeks.

Should I wait or go for the CustoMac Pro build? Is it worth the wait? If so, can I just replace the processor in the CustoMac Pro build with Core i7 2600?

geekvinu said:
If so, can I just replace the processor in the CustoMac Pro build with Core i7 2600?

The CustoMac Pro build uses a i7 930 processor, which fits into a 1366 socket on the motherboard. The Sandy Bridge i7 2600 uses a different, new socket--the 1155. The processors and motherboards are not interchangeable, so you will need to choose one or the other.

My money is (literally) on the Sandy Bridge - These chips seem so much better than the I7 9XX that it does not seem right not to buy a 1155 CPU :)

Sparticus said:
My money is (literally) on the Sandy Bridge - These chips seem so much better than the I7 9XX that it does not seem right not to buy a 1155 CPU :)

i7 9xx = safe
1155 CPU = bleeding edge

You make the call!

(I just ordered my Sandy Bridge components :eek: )

:lol:

You are right about the current non sandy bridge cpu's being safe. For sure there is a risk that the SB may not be supported by Apple.

Personally I will probably order my sandy bridge parts tonight - I have a gut feeling Apple will be using these new 1155 chips.

Its a gamble for sure but such is life :)

Sparty

i7 fanatic said:
Sparticus said:

i7 9xx = safe
1155 CPU = bleeding edge

You make the call!

(I just ordered my Sandy Bridge components :eek: )

I think we can safely say Apple will use them without a doubt. The Desktop and the Mobile Chips. They've got a Quad-Core iMac to upgrade, and the i7 900 Series ranges from high-priced XTreme CPUs which Apple will blatantly refuse to adopt due to their pricing, or because the power difference compared to the i7 870 they have now is so minor its barely noticeable.

For example: The i7 950 runs only slightly over 3.0 GHz and is the last CPU in the 900 series I could see in an Apple iMac. The i7 870 in the current Quad-Core High-End iMac runs at 2.97 GHz. Even not taking into account other differences besides GHz speed, its a small power gain compared to an i7 2600 (non-K obviously) which runs for 3.4 GHz and Turbos to 3.8 GHz. Everything over the i7 950 I could never see in an iMac. Their prices double (minimum) anything the i7 2600 costs.

Plus Ivy Bridge isn't coming out until (rumored) late this year/early next year. I can't see them waiting more than 8-12 months to update their iMacs either.

Thanks a lot. I am still waiting for the price details from the dealer. If it is not too high, I guess I will go with Sandy Bridge.

Can someone please suggest which motherboard I should go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back