Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Wondering what the obstacles will be for Sandy Bridge based Hackintosh builds... will support be immediate?

I'm planning on waiting until launch at least to gauge whether to go socket 1366 i7 or socket 1155 SB for my build.

PDXgeek said:
Wondering what the obstacles will be for Sandy Bridge based Hackintosh builds... will support be immediate?

I'm planning on waiting until launch at least to gauge whether to go socket 1366 i7 or socket 1155 SB for my build.
Sandy Bridge motherboards will be using EFI instead of a BIOS. So until someone can test a SB system it is unknown.

MacMan said:
PDXgeek said:

Sandy Bridge motherboards will be using EFI instead of a BIOS. So until someone can test a SB system it is unknown.

That would almost seem like an easier solution to things.

rnauman821 said:
MacMan said:
PDXgeek said:

That would almost seem like an easier solution to things.
Could very well be.

Attachments

• codec_dump.txt.svg.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 50
EFI? nice! That can onnly be a good thing for this community I'd think...

I am planning to buy myself a Hackintosh for Christmas
and now that this topic came up I was wondering if you guys would actually recommend waiting (since nobody knows whether it will work or not) for the sandy bridge or should I just go with a GA-H55M-USB3 (maybe Sandybridge is way more expensive?).

Counting on you :)

Bye
Maxid

Maxid said:
I am planning to buy myself a Hackintosh for Christmas
and now that this topic came up I was wondering if you guys would actually recommend waiting (since nobody knows whether it will work or not) for the sandy bridge or should I just go with a GA-H55M-USB3 (maybe Sandybridge is way more expensive?).

Counting on you :)

Bye
Maxid

They will stick to about the same price points. I really can't see them making the prices higher when they are already forcing people to adopt a new socket.

It's really up to you. Until Apple supports the technology it really is anyones guess on how easy or difficult I really will be.

I was in the same boat, and I'm deciding to wait. SB is a significant once-every-few years update and the thought of EFI is also really enticing. Worst case, if SB turns out to be expensive, the i7 prices will still drop after release, so I'm not sure what reason anyone would have at this point not to wait one month...

PDXgeek said:
I was in the same boat, and I'm deciding to wait. SB is a significant once-every-few years update and the thought of EFI is also really enticing. Worst case, if SB turns out to be expensive, the i7 prices will still drop after release, so I'm not sure what reason anyone would have at this point not to wait one month...

Well if you are in the hackintosh market, it isn't waiting a month... it's waiting 6-9months. Apple won't natively support it until fall (i would put money on it) so anything used to get it running will be from the general public.

Honestly with how often they change their sockets and other hardware, I am perfectly fine waiting until the dust settles and then debating on whether it is a viable solution.

I'm not experienced with Hackintosh builds, but I would assume the wait for support will be quick. As long as the Gigabyte boards work. Also, since Sandy Bridge is switching to EFI instead of BIOS, that will be another obstacle that will be gone, since Apple uses EFI.

thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back