Graphics
Radeon HD 6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is my first/new build. Cost is an issue so I designed this to have good bang for buck and expandable. I'm pretty much ready to buy parts, just wanted to post this here and see if I made any mistakes.

Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Graphics Card

ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU TOP/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Power Supply

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

CPU Cooler

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Memory

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Network Controller

TP-LINK TL-WN781ND PCI Express Wireless Adapter

Optical Drive

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model

Case

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

sandy bridge builds are still in the experimental stages and there's a dedicated subforum: the lab/sandy bridge

aero++ said:
sandy bridge builds are still in the experimental stages and there's a dedicated subforum: the lab/sandy bridge

Yea. Saw that. Sorry, wasn't quite sure where to post this. I understand that until apple adopts the Sandy Bridge processors they won't be completely stable. That said, I see it has been done before using the Legacy kernel and those builds seem stable enough. What are the issues with instability using the Legacy kernel?

Sorry didn't mean to put you down, just saying that if you post your questions on the sandy bridge forum, you're more likely to find answers ;)

aero++ said:
Sorry didn't mean to put you down, just saying that if you post your questions on the sandy bridge forum, you're more likely to find answers ;)

Not a problem. I'm new to this board. Any idea how to move this post?

A Mod will notice and move it.

Don't worry seen at least two other SB Builds posted in this Forum ;)

You can pic any SB board you want - none of them are going to work natively like the current known working 775, 1156 and 1366 boards and CPU's. All of your SB choices will be unstable and no where near as usable until Apple chooses to start using the same hardware. You may get it to boot and not crash but who knows what will work or not work, if your mouse will be smooth, etc, etc.

The Sandy Bridge Cpu's jumped out because they're incredibly powerful for their price. The Core i5 2500k has faster benchmarks then the Core i7 950 I originally decided on and it's cheaper. I figure if do a Sandy Bridge build I could run Windows 7 while the OSX kinks were being worked out. That's not to say I don't need a stable OSX partition, just need something usable. However, if is as stable as I've been reading maybe it's not worth it. Then I guess my next question is what chipset is the most worth it? Before I decided on Sandy Bridge on was looking at an X58 chipset, but I understand the P55 might be more stable.

There's a bit more literature and support on P55 builds, having said that X58 is fast catching up and custom beast by tonymacx86 supports X58 so basically you can't go wrong.

you can check tonymacx86 custom macpro and MacMan X58 build for some inspiration :)

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back