Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey I'm a newbee to Hackntosh but I used to have a G5 with Leopard back in the day so I'm not that bad off... Anyway I have a Samsung RV520 i3 Sandybridge laptop with 10.6.2 & I'm trying to get it online so I can start my journey...

I have 2 usb wifi cards & the onboard one as well.. I trying using the Ethernet first to get online and install any wifi drivers installed and I'm having no luck so far.. I have not seen anyone on this forum or on youtube that has this same laptop... All I know is that it took me 2 weeks just to get snow leopard installed and I don't want to quit now after all of the hair I just pulled doing so...

Also when/if I get this online what is my next step? Do I start installing drivers or Do I update all the way to 10.7 lion first? Or should I just stay with 10.6.8 ??? I'm only using a 20GB test drive just for now until I find out how far this rabbit hole goes... Thanks in advance to anyone that can break down some steps for me...

Being that this is my first post, I'll try to help you out as much as I can. I also have the RV520 by Samsung and I've been trying to get Snow Leopard or Lion installed and functional for the past week. I did get my internet to work once by using a usb wifi adapater (I think Multibeast may have helped?). From what it seems, this laptop is a real pain as both SN and Lion give me different issues, none of which are kernal/kext issues so there is no way for me to track down what the problem is. If your usb ports work, I assume that they do, plug it in and go to network to see if it will be recognized. If that doesn't work then reboot the computer in 32-bit mode and it should work. Let me know how that goes. In the event that you do get SN up and running with internet capabilities then you will need to upgrade to 10.6.8 and then update to Lion. However, I'd say just download the mac app version of Lion, providing that you get your internet working, and do a fresh install. So long story short...

SN 10.6 -> SN 10.6.8 -> Lion
-OR-
fresh install Lion (You'll either need to have the Lion thumb drive or app store version. Both you'll need SN installed so you can partition your usb drive)

Thanks... Hmmm are you saying you can just boot Lion 10.7 without installing 10.6 ? Anyway I went ahead and updated SL to 10.6.8 from 10.6.3.. I had better luck using 10.6.3. After I updated I could only boot to safe mode -x. I tried booting without GFX enhancements and any other way nothing worked but safe mode. My usb's stopped working & any chance of creating my 10.7 USB flash drive went down the drain. I think I'm going to have to start over again :crazy:

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having issues installing OSX on this machine... zero06si please if you could keep in contact with me on your project that would be great..
Seeing that it kinda looks like a Macbook Pro. I thought it would be a perfect machine to Guinea Pig... I think I would of much rather of used a desktop instead... So I guess my new question is.... Can you go from 10.6.3 to 10.7 Lion or just boot 10.7 with a fresh install? Also the USB networking card I'm using should work because I used it on my old 10.5 Leopard G5 tower with no problems....

Yes you can do a fresh 10.7 Lion install via Unibeast and either the Lion.app or Lion thumb drive. Currently, my laptop is still in the process of being fully functional as I had a KP that made me have to reload Lion.

Here's the Unibeast install guide
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... using.html

Snow leopard allowed me to have my audio but I had to use a usb mouse. Lion allows me to use my laptop trackpad but I'm still having issues with my sound. I think my bios is screwed up too because I can not boot from my hdd, which I believe may be the motherboard. As for the networking card, that should definitely work. All usb ports work including card reader, for me anyway. Once I figure out how to boot from my hdd, get the internet and audio working, I'll give you and update.

Edit 12/30/11
After hours of playing around with the bios and constantly reinstalling Lion I finally gave up on it and got a Toshiba Satellite L755 with Lion running stable. It's been about 3 weeks of dealing with the Samsung RV520 and early this morning the hard drive died. The laptop is only 6 months old, go figure. So I took another hard drive from another laptop I was working on to put in the Samsung and sold it. One of the usb ports also stopped working so yeah. I do wish you the best of luck if you want to keep trying to deal with Lion and the Samsung. So far I'm having much better luck with the Toshiba so if by chance you decide to buy the laptop I'll be making a thread probably tomorrow or Sunday.

Yeah I'm having a heck of a time getting windows 7 back on this machine... After I read your last post I as well decided to bail on this BadApple project... But now I cannot even get this machine to boot ANY windows disk at all!!! Their should be a blacklist laptop section and this laptop should definitely be on that list... I don't have any other PC's that would work seeing that all 3 are older AMD2 MOBO... So I'm not sure when I can try this again... :(

I had the same issue and I thought I couldn't get windows back on it. I did however manage to get windows back on it by loading the default settings, turning sata mode to manual and setting AHCI to disable. Set your boot priority to your dvd drive and windows should boot up. Let me know how it goes. You can bring your laptop to best buy (like I did) and they'll give you like a $210-230 credit or you can just sell it on ebay and get around $300 or so. I'll never buy a Samsung laptop ever again lol. Good luck on getting your laptop to work with windows again and if you need any help just post here or drop me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back