Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just ordered a Samsung 830 SSD and I'm wondering how you enable Trim on it in 10.8.2?
if anyone has the same drive, how do you do it?

Hey man. I have a Samsung 830 SSD in my Hack and in my MacBook Pro. I use the trim enabler app from here - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37852/trim-enabler. I believe you can also enable TRIM through an option in MultiBeast, but IMO its easier to just use the app. You'll need to reboot after flicking trim to 'on' after opening the app. You'll also need to turn it back to 'on' after an OS update.

I have a 830 in my Hack, tried the Trim enabling option in Multibeast and it did not work for me. Go for Trim Enabler as thomasboleyn states, works well and should not cause any issues with the 830 (it's not recommended for Sandforce SSDs for example), as some of the built in SSDs on the Retina MBP use the Samsung 830 controller.

Enjoy your new drive :)

I used that Trim Enabler app but used the older 1.1 Version. Should, I update to the newer 2.2 version? Is there a difference?

I'm using the latest version with no problems.

I have the same samsung 830 ssd on ml 10. 8.2 but I can't seem to get trim working. I used the trim enabler app suggested in this post, but I get a "patch is applied but trim is not enabled" message. It seems my system is not fully recognizing the ssd, because the ssd also will not show up in hwmonitor app. I'd appreciate any help, thanks

So my understanding is the 830's don't need TRIM enabled, as their garbage collection is more than adequate, and TRIM can actually hurt performance. Anyone have any insight on this?

So my understanding is the 830's don't need TRIM enabled, as their garbage collection is more than adequate, and TRIM can actually hurt performance. Anyone have any insight on this?

That would be great, I hope that's true.

I've tried SSD optimizer. It says trim is enabled, but it doesn't reflect in the System Info (see attached photo), tried Trim Enabler App, says patch is active but trim is not enabled. also HW monitor app can not detect Samsung 830 ssd. I tried enabling trim on the new Multibeast 5.1, still no luck.

Some people from the forum has successfully enabled trim on Samsung 830 on 10.8.2, but I've tried all available options and still no trim :oops:

HWmonitorwindow.pngsystem Information.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back