Contribute
Register

SalPro Dual Xeon WorkStation: ASUS Z9PE W8 DS - 2x XEON E5 2660 - GTX 590 3GB - 64GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no longer pursuing this build. I could only get Mavericks to run stable here with my other hardware needs so I am going to retire with this build and admit defeat. I will still try and offer others help that follow this thread.

Martin

Hi guys, i am also running a Z9PE with XEONv2 + 770GTX @ 10.9.3 (Mavericks). Does anyone get ElCapitan running smooth on this build? If not, maybe Yosemite?

Hi guys, i am also running a Z9PE with XEONv2 + 770GTX @ 10.9.3 (Mavericks). Does anyone get ElCapitan running smooth on this build? If not, maybe Yosemite?

I'm running 10.10.5 for PRO using (Graphic Design) with XEON 1st Edition and GTX 970.
Patched bios with 27000+- Benchmarks.
Some broblems with GPU Cinebench on GTX 970 (Very low) but Radeon 7870 running smooth.
The system is smooth.
Bootloader is Clover.

Here's a few fixes to help with getting this system up n running with El-Cap and Clover boot-loader. Remember if you want iMessage and FaceTime working it's easier to do the installation with no internet connection until you are fully installed and correctly configured ... It will save you time with all the fixes that you will have to do otherwise.

Before you begin please make sure that you are using Ivy Bridge CPU's - This guide will not work with Sandy Bridge or Sandy Bridge E type processors. So if your CPUs are E5-26xx v1 stop here and do NOT proceed any further. Trust me it's way to hard to get Turbo and Speed-Step running with Sandy Bridge CPU's on this board.

Update your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version from the ASUS website. At the time of writing the most recent version was ASUS BIOS 5802. It does not require any MSR unlocking.

Kexts Needed to install:
FakeSMC and AppleIntelE1000e

ACPI Fixes:
My DSDT.aml and SSDT-1.aml given below. SSDT-1 fixes the Black Screen Sleep with some Nvidia discreet GFX Cards. SSDT-1 may well work with other graphics cards but i have not tested it other than with my Nvidia GTX660Ti. You need to add the SSDT-1.aml to your UniBeast Clover USB pen drive in the /ACPI/Patched folder.

Post Installation:
Install clover to your HD/SSD installation drive and copy over either the full EFI folder from your USB drive or just the SSDT-1.aml to the /ACPI/Patched folder along with the DSDT.aml

Add to /kexts/10.11/
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext (fixes orange icons on internal drives shown on Desktop)
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
VoodooTSCSync.kext (Edit Info.plist so as the IOCPUNumber = the total threads you have -1 e.g.. 32 threads enter as 31)

HDMI Audio Activation:
Using the El-Capitain version of MultiBeast install the following Audio Drivers...
Universal/VoodooHDA v2.8.8, note where the VoodooHDA.kext is loaded to, copy it to /kexts/10.11 on your HD/SSD boot drive.
RealTek ALCxxx/ALC898, note where RealtekALC.kext will install to, copy this to /kexts/10.11 on your system boot drive.

After rebooting your system you should see HDMI audio available in your System Preferences/Sound/Output options.
You can see other outputs from the Voodoo driver but they sound awful on my system as if something is not set right with the pins, but the HDMI audio is crisp and clear.

Speedstep and Turbo activation:

You will need the ssdtPRGen.sh script by PikerAlpha - There are several links to it here on TonyMac or you can get it directly from https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

Generate an SSDT.aml using the following
Code:
~/ssdtPRGen.sh -p 'E5-2620 v2' -x 1 -w 3 -cpus 2
Replace the 'E5-2620 v2' with your Ivy Bridge CPU type.

Copy your SSDT.aml to Clovers /ACPI/Patched and rename it to SSDT-0.aml

Restart your computer and disable EIST, leave all other CPU settings to Auto

Edit your config.plist with the following settings:-

Set your boot flags in your config.plist to npci=0x2000 -xcpm

Under ACPI Settings add the following ...

Code:
<key>DropTables</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Signature</key>
                <string>SSDT</string>
                <key>TableId</key>
                <string>CpuPm</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Signature</key>
                <string>DMAR</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Signature</key>
                <string>SSDT</string>
                <key>TableId</key>
                <string>Cpu0Ist</string>
            </dict>
        </array>

Set KernelPM to true under Kernel and Kext Patches

SMBIOS should be a valid Mac Pro 6,1 serial if you want iMessage and FaceTime etc to fully work. If you run into problems then there is an excellent fix it section here on TonyMacx86 which can be found here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-imessage.110471/

If you have more than 2 memory DIMMs installed then you should open your System Profile and look at your memory settings there. Copy and Paste the relevant information into the memory settings in your SMBios table - You only need to enter the serial number of the first DIMM, you don't need to add it again there-after.

Don't generate or enter any RT Variables until you have a working serial number and a valid MLB - See the link above regarding iMessage settings and fixes.

Reboot your system and you should now have SS/Turbo fully working on your system ready to install your favourite apps and stuff :)

Martin

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    52.6 KB · Views: 201
  • SSDT-1.aml
    186 bytes · Views: 235
Last edited:
This is the post I've been waiting for. Thanks TpwUK, you rock! Gonna give this a try next week.

Let me know how it turns out :)

Martin

Great post, TpwUK!

I'm struggling to avoid random freeze that analogo encountered with Yosemite/El Capitan. I really want to know how to create stable system with Z9PE-D8 WS + El Capitan.
My system have two E5-2687W v2 ES and GTX760 (or GTX970), so your method may adopt my system.

I think it's a great success, so I suggest you create a new thread in El Capitan Desktop Guides and copy/paste this post, because here is old thread for Mavericks.
I want to get more information about the build (e.g. What you did for DSDT.aml because I couldn't manage to boot with latest BIOS 5802) in the new thread.

I'll also try with your DSDT.aml / SSDT-1.aml later. You are my last hope!

Great post, TpwUK!

I'm struggling to avoid random freeze that analogo encountered with Yosemite/El Capitan. I really want to know how to create stable system with Z9PE-D8 WS + El Capitan.
My system have two E5-2687W v2 ES and GTX760 (or GTX970), so your method may adopt my system.

I think it's a great success, so I suggest you create a new thread in El Capitan Desktop Guides and copy/paste this post, because here is old thread for Mavericks.
I want to get more information about the build (e.g. What you did for DSDT.aml because I couldn't manage to boot with latest BIOS 5802) in the new thread.

I'll also try with your DSDT.aml / SSDT-1.aml later. You are my last hope!

Well at least you got it booting with your ES CPUs, I got two 2667's ES chips yesterday and they wouldn't even boot when both on the motherboard at the same time. So between all the chip swapping that i was doing trying to figure the problem i somehow managed to damage socket 1 and i am now running linux on one of the chips until i can get a new motherboard. This may take me up to a month or so to replace and rebuild.... so bare with me.

In the meantime i still have my backed up clover install files so will still be able to help with things ... hopefully :/

Martin

I know there are some problems of booting with two 8-core v2 CPUs.
I made some fix to processor scope of DSDT.aml and make it bootable last year. I'll try these fix to your DSDT.aml, and share how to fix if I can boot El Capitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back