CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HI, I just rebuilt my Lion Install since upgrading from 10.7.1 -> 10.7.2 failed. I could not figure out why it would not boot, I could ssh in, I could sceenshare at times etc... it just did not work right.
Since then I did a fresh install (which I usually do with my regular Macs - yes I own them - ) so I thought why not erase it all and start over. I installed the system fine and even sleep worked! I did have a glitch with the network card not being recognized every once in a while but it seems that reinstalling the KEXT for that always found it again.
Here is where I am at and I don't know if there is a trick to it or something I am missing.
After I install a system I usually build things a certain way: First install setup screen sharing so If I mess up the monitor I can at least get into it with sharing. Second install something like Little Snitch...watching what happens. In this install I also made sure iCloud worked and synced around this time. Next is build the Saffire PRO 40 and make the audio work with firewire - audio was already recognizing the digital internal and stereo. Then start installing music/video software - Logic, FinalCut, Motion and then Adobe Suite... anything after that is FTP clients etc..

Here is the situation: This time I installed the Saffire PRO 40 software and rebooted and it hung. When I start on it again tonight I'll try to get the log and decipher more but I wanted to open this to start a Pro Audio discussion and perhaps get musicians working together on stuff.

What could be the issue? I did install the software with the Saffire PRO 40 unplugged. Does it need to be plugged in? I thought no... but maybe it does.

Thanks for help and a good discussion about anything Digital Audio

Reply to UPDATE my findings:
I reinstalled 10.7.0 Updated... All things seemed to work fine...
I installed the Safire 2.4 noticed that the .kext that this version installed crashed on boot.
I tested a backwards .kext(from v 2.2) and this .kext would boot up.
I first just removed the .kext and rolled it back by hand and installed the old one.
-Booted ok... but the Safire MixControl software did not run!
So, I thought I'll reinstall a different way... I could not go backwards and install the previous version at all... I did erase all the files Focusrite's site said to remove to uninstall... nothing worked. It kept saying a newer version was installed.
I rebuild a fresh system (I could have used my CarbonCopy but had the time) and installed the older version 2.2 and rebooted. System sees the Saffire Pro 40 and all but the Saffire MixControl software will not start up... it just crashes on start. The newer version will start but the newer .kext will crash the system... so I am kinda stuck there on this update.

UPDATE: I downloaded a beta install of the SaffirePro40. The .kext that it installed still failed. I replaced that .kext with a previously known .kext that worked and it booted. The Saffire Control from the beta software started up BUT did not recognize the hardware and open to the mixer to control it... BUT the MIDI manager recognizes the Saffire hardware and sound comes out of it... so, now after an afternoon that is where I am at.

UPDATE II; Got it working... how? I reinstalled the Saffire beta install (could have used the most recent install) from Focusrite...Maybe on the next update I'll figure out exactly what happened... but since I am the only one updating and replying... but I read some logs. Figured that some dependancies were not being met by the Saffire kext.... so I gave some installs a shot. I used the newest MultiBeast 4.03... I checked the move extra/kext feature ( I forget but it's the new feature where it moves all the kexts to the real extensions folder) then added a graphic one that I thought would be missing. It messed up and panic'd.. so I remember that one install moves a back up of something to the desktop... a GL graphic list or something and I placed the original one back in.. it booted. THe Audio messed up a little; I rebuilt the permissions. Rebooted and installed a network kext and fixed permissions. Booted up and it all worked. I am going to play with it for awhile. Then rebuild it on a back up disc from scratch to see if I can repeat all of this in one install. I did notice that Final Cut and Motion crashed. Motion actually opened and closed; Final Cut opened; crashed; opened; stayed open untill I tried importing something; then crashed. But I have more testing to do. I also can switch between internal audio and firewire audio and play movies and songs in either. That's the update so far. Thanks.

Hey I'm actually having this same issue installing the driver for a saffire pro 40 with pro tools 10 on 10.7.2. i've only tried the 2.4 driver but having saffire.kext in the extensions folder causes a KP every time.

I see you've fixed this, but i'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what you did to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

@Scansterz

Hi!

I have the same issue with my Liquid Saffire 56. I can use it with Cubase (with the kext from 2.2), but Saffire MixControl can't recognize it. 2.4 makes kernel panic, like the latest beta 2.4.

I want to make MixControl to work, because without that i can't set up physical input connections on my soundcard.

Does it work on your system?

SOLVED!!!

I used Chimera 1.5.4 from MultiBeast for Lion. But I've just downgrade it to 1.4.1. (It uses com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra folder, so i had to rename from com.Chameleon.Boot.plist.)

And now I can use Saffire with 2.4 driver. And MixControl also works!

I'm so happy:):):):):):)

I hope it helps you!

Regards!

I was trying that too, but could not find a way to downgrade.
So, I found that two kexts together worked for me. AppleHDA.kext and Saffire 2_4.kext ( I edited the name) I grabbed the HDA one from a backup... so it is a combination of which kexts and where, in your case where...and what they are doing. If you read a log about the boot up or the extensions you'll notice that some dependance is missing... that's what lead me to start trying different solutions; but it really did mess up with the new boot loader... I just did not have more time to use the old boot loader.

schy said:
SOLVED!!!

I used Chimera 1.5.4 from MultiBeast for Lion. But I've just downgrade it to 1.4.1. (It uses com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra folder, so i had to rename from com.Chameleon.Boot.plist.)

I hope it helps you!

Regards!

Thank you! The rename was what I was mixing in my quest!

Thanks!

hello.
I have a problem with Saffire 40
10.7.2 installed and kernel panic :banghead:
I should do, to run Saffire 40 and Lion?
some tutorial?
thank you very much
greetings from Spain

schy said:
SOLVED!!!

I hope it helps you!

Regards!

I don't know how to do this (I'm new...). I have the same problem with my Alesis Multimix FireWire Mixer(external sound card). Everything worked until I installed the driver for it. I can still boot with the cd. Can anyone explain step by step how to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back