Contribute
Register

Safe to remove random folder from EFI partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There is a folder titled "ubuntu" on my EFI partition (EFI/ubuntu):
Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 12.33.46 AM.png

Can I safely remove this folder?

(Not important to the question but interesting to me, and maybe others?):
. . . Some years ago when I couldn't get my Hackintosh working, I installed and used Ubuntu for a number of months. I got the Hackintosh running again after that, but before I could get to the Clover bootloader screen, a command line ubuntu screen would pop up first (after Bios), I would have to type in "exit" and hit enter, and only then would I get to the Clover screen and be able to choose my Mac HD and load my Mac OS. Additionally, for a long time when I would select my startup disk in the Bios, one of the options listed was called "ubuntu" (I recently resolved this by removing nonphysical drives from my bios following this guide, which got rid of the "ubuntu" boot option). I never knew why I previously had to get through the ubuntu command line screen or why "ubuntu" continued to show up on my boot list options, but I just mounted my EFI drive for the first time and this must be it!

There is a folder titled "ubuntu" on my EFI partition (EFI/ubuntu) ..... Can I safely remove this folder?

@toothpix,

Quick Answer = Yes ..... as long as you dont need to boot Ubuntu any more then it is safe to remove it.

The folder contains the GRUB boot loader which is the default boot loader for most linux distro's ..... when you install a MacOS Bootloader such as Clover or OpenCore then GRUB is usualy chain booted from the MacOS Boot loader which in turn will then boot linux ... there are alternative linux bootloaders to GRUB if you dont like the text only/console style GUI but it generally works well for most users.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back