Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was trying to fix a stubborn folder in the trash bin from a corrupt firefox app and now my mac won't start normally and in safe mode it loads about a 1/4 up the progress bar in safe mode and just shuts down. It automatically goes into safe mode when I restarted it after trying the following steps below to get rid of the file.

I first tried secure trash under file menu
tried the "trash it" app
then onyx empty trash and then repair permissions.
Also used the terminal and typed lsof and then accidentally hit enter before I copied the file location. I hope that wasn't bad.

here is a screen shot right before it shuts off, any idea how i can get this back up and running and use time machine to go back?

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 101
Should I try to boot into my Yosemite partition and repair my 10.8 partition? or would it be better from my ML unibeast usb disk?

Thanks in advance guys!!!!!!

Disk repair did not work hopefully disk warrior will be the champ. Fingers crossed!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    765.9 KB · Views: 112
Ok so Disk Warrior did the trick. I am up and running again. Very easy to do I just backup'ed everything first since DW didn't have enough room to make it on the disk itself. Fingers were crossed and it came though ok.

So now I have recording / mixing files I have been working on during this past month and have save my updated project files.

Should I use time machine to go back before firefox bugged out? Or just leave it the way it is now and continue to work? If I do go back will I loose my updated project files and have to redo them again. Also my machine takes a long time for the disk drive to calm down after a boot up or a restart. I don't have anything for the startup items, just wondering why its such a long time for my HD to settle down on a bootup?

So glade I got this up and running.

Hopefully it will help someone else.

I don't have anything for the startup items, just wondering why its such a long time for my HD to settle down on a bootup?

Spotlite is your culprit for running your HDD for several minutes on startup. You can go into the Spotlite preferences and choose not to index your storage drive and it will settle down much faster.

Why does it have to do it every time? Doesn't it keep a record of it or can't it just do the new files? Is it just how osx works? Also is there any reason to update to el capitan from ML? ML has been so stable except for this little snafu but I have all my apps and plugins installed and working great just don't feel like having to reinstall everything and get it up and running again, errr.

Thanks

Why does it have to do it every time? Doesn't it keep a record of it or can't it just do the new files? Is it just how osx works? Also is there any reason to update to el capitan from ML? ML has been so stable except for this little snafu but I have all my apps and plugins installed and working great just don't feel like having to reinstall everything and get it up and running again, errr.

Thanks
El Capitan is not worth it upgrading from ML IMHO, especially if you have everything working to your satisfaction.
I have an iMac running ML and a MSI H77MA-G43 with core i5 3570K running ML that I do not intend to upgrade. In fact, I thought about turning the 2008 iMac back to SL, but MacIASL requires 10.8 to run and I have been using the iMac for DSDT edits, so regressing it is not such a good idea right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back