Motherboard
MSI Z370i Pro Gaming Carbon AC
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 460
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I know a lot of thread here is already covering topics about the AMD RX 4XX GPUs. I've been reading most of them but I cannot seem to find a straight info on how to enable my Gigabyte RX460 4GB on Sierra 10.12.4. Most I read was this specific card was almost OOB under 10.12.3.

Can anyone help me enable this card on my Sierra 10.12.4 system? Do I need to make changes on the 4100 or 9500 kext now?

Currently I have following specs:

Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Intel i5-6500
Intel HD530 (Working OOB, no patches and fixes installed)
Gigabyte Rx460 4GB Windforce (no 6pin power)
Single Monitor connected via HDMI to the HD530 (for now)
IGPU is set as Primary on BIOS with 64MB DVMT (tried different values as well)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know a lot of thread here is already covering topics about the AMD RX 4XX GPUs. I've been reading most of them but I cannot seem to find a straight info on how to enable my Gigabyte RX460 4GB on Sierra 10.12.4. Most I read was this specific card was almost OOB under 10.12.3.

Can anyone help me enable this card on my Sierra 10.12.4 system? Do I need to make changes on the 4100 or 9500 kext now?

Currently I have following specs:

Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Intel i5-6500
Intel HD530 (Working OOB, no patches and fixes installed)
Gigabyte Rx460 4GB Windforce (no 6pin power)
Single Monitor connected via HDMI to the HD530 (for now)
IGPU is set as Primary on BIOS with 64MB DVMT (tried different values as well)

Thanks.

Do not edit the kexts. The id numbers they have in them are for the RX 460 line. It is the RX 470 and RX 480 cards that need the kexts edited in order to get them to work.

After you have fully booted and logged in, what does your System Report list under the Graphics/Displays section?
In your System Preferences, Displays section, how many monitors are shown and in which order are they listed?

Do not edit the kexts. The id numbers they have in them are for the RX 460 line. It is the RX 470 and RX 480 cards that need the kexts edited in order to get them to work.

After you have fully booted and logged in, what does your System Report list under the Graphics/Displays section?
In your System Preferences, Displays section, how many monitors are shown and in which order are they listed?

Only 1 Monitor is being shown. See screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 8.57.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 8.57.48 PM.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.01.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.01.14 PM.png
    109 KB · Views: 196
Only 1 Monitor is being shown. See screenshot.

It looks like you have Inject-ATI=true set.

Your clover config.plist should look like:
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>FBName</key>
        <string>Berbice</string>
    </dict>

Note: Since you are using the Intel IGPU for the moment, do not change that key to false. Next,

Code:
    <key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
         Stuff goes here,
        etc. down to
        <key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
             other kext patches might be here, down to:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Connectors Patch for Framebuffer BERBICE for RX460</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>AgAAAAABAAA5BQEIAAAAACABAQEAAAAAAAQAAAABAAAAAQJDAAAAABAAAgIAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQMTAAAAACEDAwMAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQRTAAAAABECBAQAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQUzAAAAABIEBQUAAAAA</data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMD9510Controller</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>AAQAAAQDAAAAAQRTAAAAABECBQEAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQMTAAAAACEDAwQAAAAABAAAABQCAAAAAQJDAAAAABAABAUAAAAAAgAAAAABAAA5BQEIAAAAACABAQEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQUzAAAAABIEBQUAAAAA</data>
            </dict>
        </array

Does your monitor have multiple inputs so that you can attach a cable from the card as well as from the IPGU and switch between the inputs? If not, do you have a spare monitor that you can plug into the RX 460 card?

The display not being listed, while the correct card name being listed, implies a problem with the framebuffer. The choices are to use inject-ati = false and remove the fbname key and the Connectors patch or use the inject ati= true with the patches. [FYI, we had to start doing this back in 10.12.3 when Apple gave us the Acre framebuffer and we had to use a patch or injectati=false.]

edit: I have not heard of anyone needing to use the Clover fixes (old or new style) such as as FixDisplay, etc.
edit 2: Once that display is found, then the Displays Preference panel is used to get the RX card to be the main display. Sometimes it is necessary to use Mirror Displays temporarily to be able to get to the Displays panel to be able to set the arrangement and menubar placement.

Last edited:
Does your monitor have multiple inputs so that you can attach a cable from the card as well as from the IPGU and switch between the inputs? If not, do you have a spare monitor that you can plug into the RX 460 card?
Unfortunately my monitor has only HDMI and VGA though my motherboard nor my GPU doesn't have VGA so I can't test dual input.

The display not being listed, while the correct card name being listed, implies a problem with the framebuffer. The choices are to use inject-ati = false and remove the fbname key and the Connectors patch or use the inject ati= true with the patches. [FYI, we had to start doing this back in 10.12.3 when Apple gave us the Acre framebuffer and we had to use a patch or injectati=false.]

Yes, from my last test, I tried injecting ATI and selected Berbice for the FB Name. Note that I also have tried without any patches or changes related to graphics before.

Unfortunately my monitor has only HDMI and VGA though my motherboard nor my GPU doesn't have VGA so I can't test dual input.

Do you have a tv with hdmi input? Something to make macOS acknowledge two monitors are hooked up to the system?

Do you have a tv with hdmi input? Something to make macOS acknowledge two monitors are hooked up to the system?

I have to take off until much later tonight. I have encountered times after a crash and reset (in the PB testing, where macOS would seem to loose the card, and had to be forced into acknowledging that monitors could be attached to it). it usually took a second monitor or what Adrian B is describing to get things sorted back out.

I have to take off until much later tonight. I have encountered times after a crash and reset (in the PB testing, where macOS would seem to loose the card, and had to be forced into acknowledging that monitors could be attached to it). it usually took a second monitor or what Adrian B is describing to get things sorted back out.

I do have an HDMI TV on the other room. Honestly I am not getting the point. Would the 2nd display be permanent for the RX460 to work? Or I just need it temporarily to fix things?

I do have an HDMI TV on the other room. Honestly I am not getting the point. Would the 2nd display be permanent for the RX460 to work? Or I just need it temporarily to fix things?

It is only temporary, it is used to make macOS re-initialize all of its settings. Once the os acknowledges the display attached to the RX 460 card exists, you can remove it and (hopefully) never need to attach it again, unless you just want to.

Connect your monitor to your IGPU, using the HDMI connection and connect the other monitor (tv) to the RX 460 card using the HDMI connector. Make sure the monitor inputs are set to use the HDMI input connected to the computer. Avoid using the VGA connection.

Turn both monitors on, then turn on and boot the machine. Let it boot completely to the log-in screen. It can take a couple of reboots to get macOS to fully propogate the knowledge of the monitor through its system, but hopefully it will take only one try. Check the System report each time to keep track of any progress. At some point, both monitors should have the same background that Sierra uses for the login screen background, but one will have the login screen as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back