Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
This is a fun one. I’ve poked at it for 9 hours today and I’m at my wit’s end. Previously I was on 10.13.6 with an Nvidia Windforce 1060. Ever since I moved to 10.13 from 10.12, I was getting random freezing, which I heard was NOT an issue with 10.14. But since I was using an Nvidia card, I needed to change that before updating to 10.14.

I got a Radeon Sapphire RX Vega64 8GB card after hearing that it worked OOB on 10.14 with no issues. Since I’m here right now, you know that didn’t happen.

When I first plugged it in, I got a tiny, tiny box at full resolution that was just a slice of my desktop. I could see the top left corner, centered in the screen, and that was it. My first intuition was to remove anything Nvidia specific via Clover Configurator, so I removed the card and went through an iGPU boot to do that. No dice.

After that I tried an OS update next, because what I heard was the card working on 10.14. It shouldn’t have made a difference, but just in case I gave it a shot. Nothing - Same small box, actually, but now the box is solid black and all I see is my mouse cursor. I tried updating to 10.14.6 and nothing changed.

I tried checking RadeonDeInit and that didn’t change anything. I tried installing the Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts. I tried changing my SMBIOS profile to 6,1 and to 18,4 and neither made any difference whatsoever.

I have no idea what to try next. Everything looks perfect on boot up but once it logs I and gets past the Apple icon loading bar screen, all I have is a black rectangle and a mouse cursor. At least it doesn’t freeze anymore.

It is worth nothing that I can reliably boot up in iGPU by removing the card entirely and plugging my Apple Cinema Display into the MOBO DVI port, so I can still change things in Clover Configurator. I can also still access the BIOS and Clover screens on boot. The OS install is fine and stable, it just doesn’t want to play nice with my graphics card.

This is a fun one. I’ve poked at it for 9 hours today and I’m at my wit’s end. Previously I was on 10.13.6 with an Nvidia Windforce 1060. Ever since I moved to 10.13 from 10.12, I was getting random freezing, which I heard was NOT an issue with 10.14. But since I was using an Nvidia card, I needed to change that before updating to 10.14.

I got a Radeon Sapphire RX Vega64 8GB card after hearing that it worked OOB on 10.14 with no issues. Since I’m here right now, you know that didn’t happen.

When I first plugged it in, I got a tiny, tiny box at full resolution that was just a slice of my desktop. I could see the top left corner, centered in the screen, and that was it. My first intuition was to remove anything Nvidia specific via Clover Configurator, so I removed the card and went through an iGPU boot to do that. No dice.

After that I tried an OS update next, because what I heard was the card working on 10.14. It shouldn’t have made a difference, but just in case I gave it a shot. Nothing - Same small box, actually, but now the box is solid black and all I see is my mouse cursor. I tried updating to 10.14.6 and nothing changed.

I tried checking RadeonDeInit and that didn’t change anything. I tried installing the Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts. I tried changing my SMBIOS profile to 6,1 and to 18,4 and neither made any difference whatsoever.

I have no idea what to try next. Everything looks perfect on boot up but once it logs I and gets past the Apple icon loading bar screen, all I have is a black rectangle and a mouse cursor. At least it doesn’t freeze anymore.

It is worth nothing that I can reliably boot up in iGPU by removing the card entirely and plugging my Apple Cinema Display into the MOBO DVI port, so I can still change things in Clover Configurator. I can also still access the BIOS and Clover screens on boot. The OS install is fine and stable, it just doesn’t want to play nice with my graphics card.

Have you tried disabling the IGpU in bios when the Vega is being used?

Have you tried disabling the IGpU in bios when the Vega is being used?

I don’t see the same disable options that google suggested for my MOBO, so I changed an option to use internal GPU if no card was detected. I checked Clover on the boot up and it changed to only show one graphics card, the Vega, and I thought that sounded good, but on boot up the same problem was still there. Now on restart I only get a black screen, no boot screens or anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back