RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
One thing I noticed is that under Windows the RX 6900 XT consumption drops to 5W while under macOS it doesn't drop below 33W. Is there anything I can adjust to make the consumption drop under macOS?
(I also measured it with an external meter - in Windows the consumption of the whole computer drops to 33W in idle mode, in macOS it does not drop below 79W)

Perhaps no one is sure about the reason behind this and whether there is any way to resolve it to your satisfaction?

My (admittedly wild) guess is the power management features of the card may not be supported on MacOS.

One thing I noticed is that under Windows the RX 6900 XT consumption drops to 5W while under macOS it doesn't drop below 33W. Is there anything I can adjust to make the consumption drop under macOS?
(I also measured it with an external meter - in Windows the consumption of the whole computer drops to 33W in idle mode, in macOS it does not drop below 79W)

I am sure it has something to do with AMD constantly tweaking its drivers for performance over on the Windows side, whereas on the Mac side, I'm not sure who writes the drivers and whether they care as much about these cards. On Windows, it is a competitive environment with Nvidia and AMD, whereas on the Mac, there is no incentive to optimize the performance. Never mind the fact that we Hackintoshers are using the cards in a manner that they are typically not supposed to be used in the official capacity. Not only that, but if Apple is writing the drivers, I think they are moving towards their AppleSi SOC platform, so I would expect diminishing optimization for the Radeon.

You could try injecting the PowerPlay Table into the 6900. There are methods to copy the Power Play Table from the Windows side, then inject it into the Mac side.

The author wrote that the Red BIOS Editor isn't supported on the 6000 series, but I think it was updated so that it could work. I know I've done it in the past. I was messing around with the PPT but I don't think I saw any difference. It was kind of moot because all my gaming is done over on the Windows side.

You could try injecting the PowerPlay Table into the 6900. There are methods to copy the Power Play Table from the Windows side, then inject it into the Mac side.
That's great. This is finally information that will move me forward. Thank you.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 24
Interesting observation. I bought a 4K monitor. I had a WQHD before. Consumption dropped to 22W at rest even though the resolution increased.

Back