Contribute
Register

RX 580 vs GTX 1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any hope of Apple/nVidia playing nice in the future, or should I sell my 1070? The 1070 is awful on my hackintosh build. Averaging over 40 seconds for the BruceX 5K Benchmark.When I put in my RX 580, it's about 15 seconds. The RX 580 is a clear winner here for video editing. I just hate to lose all the potential GPU power in the 1070 ha.
The 1070 got about 1075 in Unigine Heaven benchmark. But the RX 580 was about a 670.

On macOS AMDs are far superior. Even in how fluid is the UI. The whole os is optimized for that architecture. And also all the softwares.

For hackintosh is even better as it's easier to set up, you don't have to wait for web drivers update everytime, so I think you should just sell your 1070 now that you can flip some money on it.

I just installed an RX 560 4GB OC edition, my graphics are fast and snappy, it's like night and day coming from laggy Nvidia graphics and the card was only $279 here in Canada.

Could even RX 560 be faster ( or as fast) as an GTX 1060/1070 running BruceX 5K Benchmark?
I ask because RX 560 is way slower in OpenGL / Metal / OpenCL performance than GTX 1060/1070?!
I tested it on my RX 460 (14 CU, RX 450 has 16 CU, about 10% faster):
BruceX 5K Benchmark = 31 sec
What / How i did:
Step 1 Download the XML file
Step 2 Open Quicktime & Open FCP and go to Preferences > Playback > Turn off Background Render
Step 3 Open the XML file (File>Import>XML)
Step 4 Click on the clip and hit the share button (upper right corner)
Step 5 Select Master File > Under Settings select Apple Pro Res 422 (it should have file size estimate of 198 mb)
Step 6 Select Next > Start your timer as soon as you select save and stop it once quicktime opens the video file.

Attachments

• BruceX_Test.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have 2 minutes 32 seconds on that same benchmark with GTX 1060 so it's safe to say that the RX 560 is significantly faster than a GTX 1060. This is with the .104 drivers. Before, with the most recent Nvidia web driver I was getting in the region of 8 minutes.

I moved from nVidia to AMD and will never look back.

I like nVidia and CUDA but macOS performance is far more important to me at this stage.

Vega FE provides a lot of power for macOS and Windows (if need be for VR and gaming etc)....and also a lot of power for pro applications.

I recommend a Vega 56 or 64 if you can find one in stock. I was lucky and snagged a Vega FE for $700 and sold my nVidia's.

I can say that AMD is far far superior than nVidia. It is fluid and works well even the RX560 works well if you're looking for a budget card that's usually in stock. Just don't get an XFX and you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back