Graphics
AMD wx7100
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I initially installed my system with an amd r9 270. I decided to get a new one cause the screen would not scale properly cause it wasn't supported. I purchased a rx 580 and installed it. However it boots to a black screen. I've tried editing the amd controller kexts, but that still boots to black. could be cause I've only put them in library/extensions and not system/library/extensions? The SMBIOS is iMacpro1,1 the MOBO is a msi x299 raider and the CPU is an i7 7800x.

All help appreciated.

try HDMI output

if you need displayport, try lilu and whatevergreen kexts, that go to EFI partition (clover/kexts/other)

1. monitor has only dvi inputs?
2. do you complement lilu with whatevergreen?

the monitor has DVI and VGA inputs. I've tried both, along with a DP to DVI adapter. I did add Lilu and whatevergreen kexts. With some changes like that i'm now able to not have a totally black screen, but i have no acceleration and the display resolution is stuck at 800x600

I should also mention that it's the XFX model 580, if that helps any

There are known issues with XFX cards. You should return it and get something like a Sapphire Pulse RX580.

You could try flashing your XFX card with a Sapphire VBIOS, but for that you need Windows (or can do it from a DOS USB disk) and most likely void your warranty (and if anything goes wrong it's not my fault :D)

FYI. Right now I have Vega. If I connect 4K monitor through DP > problem. HD monitor through HDMI > no problem. Before that, I had 580 and without any edits or patches, just lilu+WEG. It booted fine. Make sure you removed all patches, etc., or just have clean install to try things out

If you can, try some other monitor using newer ports than DVI as a test of the GPU. It's the little details but can change many things in the state of things right now with GPUs, sadly. If you don't have access to other monitor for test or you must have DVI monitor, work on solution :) gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back