Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
RX 580
I switched from GTX 1070 to RX 580 and I'd like to share my thoughts on general & Adobe Premiere anoyances, fixes and performance.

System: 10.13.6
SMBIOS: MacPro 6,1 or 14,2

Before replacing the 1070 I deleted nvidia and cuda drivers. In clover I unchecked NvidiaWeb. Installed latest Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts.

Switched the cards, booted fine, but got weird purple tint on one monitor (dvi) and mooshy colored fonts on the other (displayport). I found the fix on this forum -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-6-update.255911/page-25#post-1777517

Fixed that, everything worked until I opened Premiere. I created new project & OpenCL renderer. Put some videos on the timeline, adjustment layer with LUT and basic color correction ... tried to pre-reder and got a total glitchy ****up.
Then, went to the BIOS and disabled IGPU. Booted back, reopened Premiere project and voila, pre-render worked fine and also tripled the speed compared to before. BUT when I tried to export in h264, computer freezed. Like WTF. So what I did was I switched "hardware encoding" to "software encoding" (->screenshot). This time everything worked, and as fast if not faster than GTX 1070.

I hope this post helps some video editors who also made the switch.

UPDATE1: OpenCL and Metal give me same results.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.31.46.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.31.46.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Upload your entire EFI folder, I am assuming you have a few things wrong because for a 4790K CPU you should be using iMac15,1 SMBIOS not MacPro6,1.

Upload your entire EFI folder, I am assuming you have a few things wrong because for a 4790K CPU you should be using iMac15,1 SMBIOS not MacPro6,1.

iMac profiles are not giving me two monitors...

iMac profiles are not giving me two monitors...
SMBIOS selection doesn’t control GPU video output, that’s why I said to upload your entire EFI folder because you need different things applied based off what SMBIOS you are using. But the to get the best results, you should start with getting the right SMBIOS for your CPU, then apply or patch other things based off the SMBIOS you chose.

SMBIOS selection doesn’t control GPU video output, that’s why I said to upload your entire EFI folder because you need different things applied based off what SMBIOS you are using. But the to get the best results, you should start with getting the right SMBIOS for your CPU, then apply or patch other things based off the SMBIOS you chose.

I see. Here it is attached :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.7 MB · Views: 122
Changed SMbios to 14,2, ditched Whatevergreen. All working :)

Changed SMbios to 14,2, ditched Whatevergreen. All working :)
Yeap but you are missing quite a few things, CPU PM, Native working NVRAM and a few other things. Here is a correctly setup of a EFI for your system.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 141
Yeap but you are missing quite a few things, CPU PM, Native working NVRAM and a few other things. Here is a correctly setup of a EFI for your system.

Pavo thanks! Working nicely. Can I use those files for my second build as well (i5 8600k + z370 HD3P)?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I too, am a video editor and have been considering the switch on my workstation..however so far I haven't gotten the courage to make the switch.

You can do it, it works! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back