Intel Core i5-7500 @ 3,41 GHz
Graphics
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB VRAM
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

On the web, I found some mixed responses (probably outdated), so that's why I'm asking here to make sure.
I have a PC with both a GTX 960 TI and an RTX 2070, both NVIDIA graphics card which, as known, sucks on MacOS.

I want to exchange my RTX 2070 for the RX 5700 XT GPU, but I'm not quite sure whether the RX 5700 XT is compatible.
Which version of macOS I'll be running doesn't really matter to me, but of course, is Cataline the preferred version.

Thanks!

A few of us have been looking into this very topic quite a bit. All of our research/findings can be found in this post:

Pay special attention to the last 5 or so pages.

Hi,

On the web, I found some mixed responses (probably outdated), so that's why I'm asking here to make sure.
I have a PC with both a GTX 960 TI and an RTX 2070, both NVIDIA graphics card which, as known, sucks on MacOS.

I want to exchange my RTX 2070 for the RX 5700 XT GPU, but I'm not quite sure whether the RX 5700 XT is compatible.
Which version of macOS I'll be running doesn't really matter to me, but of course, Catalina the preferred version.

Thanks!

You will need (a future version of) Catalina to use the RX 5700 XT anyway.

As of now the release version of Catalina does NOT support the 5700 XT, but since the beta version of Catalina 10.15.1 has support for it, it seems that support for the card can be expected once 10.15.1 is released.

So wait until the release of 10.15.1 and the RX 5700 XT should work then.

You will need (a future version of) Catalina to use the RX 5700 XT anyway.

As of now the release version of Catalina does NOT support the 5700 XT, but since the beta version of Catalina 10.15.1 has support for it, it seems that support for the card can be expected once 10.15.1 is released.

So wait until the release of 10.15.1 and the RX 5700 XT should work then.

There are a lot of device IDs in the beta Kexts so waiting for the soon to be released Navi 12 may be worth it.

Hey. I've bought a rx 5700 xt. It will arrive tomorrow. Now I decided to install beta 3 and configure smbios. I have imac19.1 now. I've read here that acceleration only worked on some smbios, but not on 19.1. And there are still problems with whatevergreen. Tell me, please, which smbios to switch to, and how to implement it to the UHD630 stays working. My config: msi z370 krait gaming \ i9 9900k \ 32ram \

Hey. I've bought a rx 5700 xt. It will arrive tomorrow. Now I decided to install beta 3 and configure smbios. I have imac19.1 now. I've read here that acceleration only worked on some smbios, but not on 19.1. And there are still problems with whatevergreen. Tell me, please, which smbios to switch to, and how to implement it to the UHD630 stays working. My config: msi z370 krait gaming \ i9 9900k \ 32ram \

It is unlikely that you will be able to use the UHD630 everyone gets kernel panic when trying. Most of us are using the imacPro 1.1 smbios because it doesn’t have IGPU. This allows the Navi card to function on its own. You will either have to disable the IGPU or use a false flag ID like 0x12345678 so that the framebuffers dont load.

It is unlikely that you will be able to use the UHD630 everyone gets kernel panic when trying. Most of us are using the imacPro 1.1 smbios because it doesn’t have IGPU. This allows the Navi card to function on its own. You will either have to disable the IGPU or use a false flag ID like 0x12345678 so that the framebuffers dont load.
Thanks for the answer. So if I use this boot argument (0x12345678) my embedded graphics will also work with navi with smbios iMacPro 1.1, won’t it?

Thanks for the answer. So if I use this boot argument (0x12345678) my embedded graphics will also work with navi with smbios iMacPro 1.1, won’t it?

I’m not sure but if you try normal IGPU settings it will panic. This might give you 7mb support and allow you to have certain IGPU functions, but I doubt it will see any major benefits. The Kexts for the Navi cards are set up like an IGPU. There is a framebufferkext instead of a Controllerkext so that may be where the issue is. Think of trying to boot with a UHD630 and a HD4600 System at the same time. Previous versions of OSX have the video cards using controllerkexts. This is a new setup for these cards.
The strange thing is that real macs using thunderbolt work with this setup where the IGPU can’t be turned off manually. Maybe there is something in the software that disabled them on real macs? Anyone with a real Mac and thunderbolt eGPU withba Navi card could you please post screenshots of System Profile with graphics and displays window?

what version of rx 5700 xt do you recommend buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back