Sapphire HD 6870 with REDMOD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

This is a question out of curiosity more than an necessity, but I was wondering whether it is possible to have 2 different GPU's running in one machine. I read a lot that people using 2 of the same card will use one for GUI and the other for GPU.

I already own a Sapphire HD 6870 which is recognized and runs perfectly with 3+ monitor support. However I am looking to upgrade to an R9 290x, but read that they do not support multi monitors. So would I be able to install the 290x and plug that into my gaming monitor and let the HD 6870 run the other 2? Or would this not be feasible with different frame buffers being needed for the different cards?

Thanks.

The r9 290x is the best card out there at the moment and it should run 2 screens fine.
I have run 2 different Radeon card at the same time with 2 screens at 1080p but it was on an actual Mac Pro so I can't say it will work for sure on your system.
I have also run a GTX-470 and a radeon 6850 side by side on my custom mac at the same time with one 1080p screen on each. No problems.
The system seems to load the separate drivers for each card without issue.
But I also tried running a GTX-770 and a GTX-470 side by side and that did not work. nVidia can only load one driver and these two cards require different driver.
So I'm not answering your question but giving you a little more information.
I honestly think you'll be fine with the r9 290x alone. But please do more research as I have no first hand experience with that card.
I hope that is helpful.

Thank you very much for your response. I do not personally own a 290x but from what I have read people are struggling to get more than one display off it without it crashing systems. Hence the question posted could be a viable solution.

Thanks again for your response.

So the answer to your original question is Yes.
I got my hands on a R9 290x for testing and you are right, so far only one monitor and max resolution 1080p.
I am running my second screen off of a second card (6850).

When I get the resolution on the 290x up to 4K I'll post back.

Now running
Display 1 full 4k over DispayPort on 290x
Display 2 1080p over HDMi on 6850
Bootloader = Chimera
GE=No

edit\
Moved boot and extra to EFI to solve boot0 error.
Ref.http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Thanks for the testing Rabbit!

Have you tried enabling your integrated graphics to see if that resolves the multi-monitor issue on the 290x? I have read that just enabling this can activate the other ports.

Need to get my hands on a 290x. How would you rate the card? What was the trick to get the 4k output @ 60hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back