Contribute
Register

RTX 2080Ti/2080/2070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to know what is the best way to dual boot.

Let me know how you get on with 2080. Is it true the price of the cards re going up??

When I got the GTX1080 way back when it came out, I was forced to dual boot and only use the GTX1080 under Windows and the iGPU in macOS because there were no drivers for 6 months. I got angry and bought 980Ti's since they were supported.

If you really want to use the iGPU (if your system has one) under macOS you can do that, but you will need a monitor with multiple inputs so you have the iGPU connected to Input 1 and GTX1080 on Input 2, so you switch inputs and boot into your favorite OS. It's doable...Or get something like an RX5xx/Vega for macOS and a GTX2080 for Windows? You will still need to use 2 inputs on your monitor.

I'm likely to get a 2080 since I dual boot to windows for gaming and also because my 1080 is already pushing 3 displays. I jumped the gun when the 1080 came out and waited a while for the drivers, so I think I'll wait until they come out before I purchase this time.

When I got the GTX1080 way back when it came out, I was forced to dual boot and only use the GTX1080 under Windows and the iGPU in macOS because there were no drivers for 6 months. I got angry and bought 980Ti's since they were supported.

If you really want to use the iGPU (if your system has one) under macOS you can do that, but you will need a monitor with multiple inputs so you have the iGPU connected to Input 1 and GTX1080 on Input 2, so you switch inputs and boot into your favorite OS. It's doable...Or get something like an RX5xx/Vega for macOS and a GTX2080 for Windows? You will still need to use 2 inputs on your monitor.

Could you explain just a bit more on how to do this? I'm on a MacPro 5,1 and think I need to do the same thing with an RTX 2070. Is there a place to connect a monitor directly to the iGPU located in the back of the computer? Right now if I try to boot into windows via bootcamp, the computer freezes when I click 'Windows' from the boot-select screen. If I boot into Mac, 'About this Mac', shows that I'm using Integrated Graphics, even with the RTX plugged in.

Last edited:
Could you explain just a bit more on how to do this? I'm on a MacPro 5,1 and think I need to do the same thing with an RTX 2070. Is there a place to connect a monitor directly to the iGPU located in the back of the computer? Right now if I try to boot into windows via bootcamp, the computer freezes when I click 'Windows' from the boot-select screen. If I boot into Mac, 'About this Mac', shows that I'm using Integrated Graphics, even with the RTX plugged in.
First, he's talking about a hackintosh with a PC motherboard which has motherboard graphics ports to support an i3/i5/i7 processor that supports iGPU. At real Mac Pro 5,1 doesn't have a iGPU port on the back of the computer.

Second, your Mac Pro 5,1 (I have one, too), isn't supported by anything on this forum except in the Mac Pro forum section.

Third, your problem is best suited to be posted in the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section as I've seen your question(s)/problem(s) discussed there.

just saw this :

RTX 2070 in HS ?

just saw this :

RTX 2070 in HS ?

It looks like it. He gets 90 fps with unreal. He says he tried Mojave but had to switch to High Sierra otherwise he could not get it to work. But I would be very happy with High Sierra support haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back