Contribute
Register

RTL8111e, 10.8.3, and Gigabyte, oh my! Strange issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
2007 15" MBP
CPU
2.33 Core 2 Duo
Graphics
ATI Radeon 1600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, I know there are tons of threads out there and they all end with, "install Lnx2Mac's Realtek driver and all will be right in the world!" Well, didn't work for me (FYI, not bashing his/her work; I know this is between me and my rig). And other oddities are happening.

First, about the rig:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (Rev 2.0) - RTL8111e NIC, Realtek ALC892 audio, USB 3.0
i7 Processor @ 2.93ghz
8gb DDR3 1333 RAM
nVidia GeForce GT240 1gb VRAM
WD Raptor 300gb HDD boot drive
(3) WD Green 2TB HDD, software RAID 1
LG Blu-Ray burner
LG DVD burner
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless

Unibeast install of 10.8.3
Ran Multibeast for MacPro 5,1, Install NIC, Audio, USB 3.0 drivers
I had reverted to Winblows and then after a paltry month, had to install OSX again.

So, on to the issues:
1. No NIC. Have tried the latest .9 version of Lnx2Mac's driver
2. Had to use Voodoo's audio driver. Not the best solution, especially since prior to 10.8.3, I could use Apple's default Azalea driver
3. Have to boot with -f -y -v flags (well, maybe not the -v, but haven't tried otherwise)

Thankfully the TP-Link uses the native drivers, but I still can't access App Store, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, I know there are tons of threads out there and they all end with, "install Lnx2Mac's Realtek driver and all will be right in the world!" Well, didn't work for me (FYI, not bashing his/her work; I know this is between me and my rig). And other oddities are happening.

First, about the rig:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (Rev 2.0) - RTL8111e NIC, Realtek ALC892 audio, USB 3.0
i7 Processor @ 2.93ghz
8gb DDR3 1333 RAM
nVidia GeForce GT240 1gb VRAM
WD Raptor 300gb HDD boot drive
(3) WD Green 2TB HDD, software RAID 1
LG Blu-Ray burner
LG DVD burner
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless

Unibeast install of 10.8.3
Ran Multibeast for MacPro 5,1, Install NIC, Audio, USB 3.0 drivers
I had reverted to Winblows and then after a paltry month, had to install OSX again.

So, on to the issues:
1. No NIC. Have tried the latest .9 version of Lnx2Mac's driver
2. Had to use Voodoo's audio driver. Not the best solution, especially since prior to 10.8.3, I could use Apple's default Azalea driver
3. Have to boot with -f -y -v flags (well, maybe not the -v, but haven't tried otherwise)

Thankfully the TP-Link uses the native drivers, but I still can't access App Store, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

lnx2mac hasn't been updated for a very long time, so it doesn't work well with some of the newer hardware.

Have you tried Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext? Quality driver when you have supported hardware. See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287161-new-driver-for-realtek-rtl8111/

Here's an update. Updated to 10.8.5 and reran Multibeast with the right DSDT.aml file. Native audio now working, BUT, still can't get the NIC to work. I installed Mieze's 1.1.3 version of the RTL8111e kext to no avail (deleted Lnx2Mac's kext, dumped the kernel cache with Onyx, installed the new kext with KextHelper, dumped the kernel cache again, deleted the networkinterfaces.plist file, rebooted. Didn't-a-workie.

Here is what happens. When the NIC is NOT plugged in (had to pilfer a Airport Express from another area of the house), the Hackintosh boots fine, but no Ethernet interface in system prefs. Even when I go to add a new interface, LAN or Ethernet doesn't even show up as an option. When I boot with the LAN plugged in, it loads past the Apple logo screen, and then *seems* to get ready to go to the login screen, but both monitors go off and I get no further hard drive activity. I have tried booting with -F -f -y -v in multiple combos to no avail. . . Funny thing is, NIC was working before. . . I am just stumped with this one.

Now I am not a newb, but some of the CLI (terminal) stuff is way above me. I don't panic very easily, so i'll even try weird possible solutions.

Thanks again!

Have you tried testing to see if it is hardware problem?
Suggest making a live DVD with latest Ubuntu, Linux Mint or other distro and see if the NIC works in Linux. Maybe also install some version of Windows and install driver from the driver DVD that came with the board and test.

Have you tried testing to see if it is hardware problem?
Suggest making a live DVD with latest Ubuntu, Linux Mint or other distro and see if the NIC works in Linux. Maybe also install some version of Windows and install driver from the driver DVD that came with the board and test.

I still have the Windows 8 drive. Swapped it out, booted up, no problems. . . This really sucks. Was thinking it might be some weird overlap of resources, (i.e., if you use a PCI-e slot, it nullifies the ethernet) but I can't imagine a modern board would do that. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back