Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
GT 1030
I just built a new system... tiny one. Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming (Mini-ITX), I7-8700 65W Hexacore, 32GB Corsair memory, 2TB Intel 7600 Pro SSD (M.2) and added an EVGA GT1030 SC video card. I also bought a new DW1820A Wifi/BT card to replace the Realtek, which won't work with OSX.

So... after ump-teen failed installs, I think I've stumbled into an issue. If I don't install the nVidia card, WiFi is enabled on initial boot-up, no Kexts required. Once I install Clover, WiFi doesn't work... need to install FakePCIID. If I install the nVidia card, there's no default driver, so it's sluggish, but WiFi still works. Once I install nVidia drivers, system won't finish booting unless I disable WiFi in BIOS.

Next, install FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi, reboot, then enable WiFi in BIOS... machine boots, but shows no WiFi hardware installed.... yet it shows in the PCI list.

I've through the Broadcom WiFi install guide too many times... there are no sections in config.plist that contain anything to patch... but until I add nVidia drivers, it was working. Any clues on resolving this one??

Regards, KM

Once I install Clover, WiFi doesn't work... need to install FakePCIID. If I install the nVidia card, there's no default driver, so it's sluggish, but WiFi still works. Once I install nVidia drivers, system won't finish booting unless I disable WiFi in BIOS.
Need debug. Boot verbose.

Last edited:
Need debug. Boot verbose.

Well, I've been working on this on/off for weeks. As it turns, the Wifi/BT card I bought (from a local vendor) was flakey at first and has basically cratered since. Initially when I installed the card, Wireless came up instantly... and a couple kexts had BT working as well. After a reboot, it stopped working... which led me to search and find the WiFi/BT thread and accompanying changes to the config, none working.
The card finally stopped working with BT as well and as of now, I can't boot anything unless I disable WiFi in BIOS. I did a full install and migrated a bunch of apps and data last night from an older Yosemite system... and it appear to be running fine (sans WiFi/BT). So I think I need to replace the failing adapter!
One last bit of info.... I also tried to install High Sierra 10.13.6 from a fresh USB stick... it won't boot... just the lovely circle with the line through it comes up after a while of trying. Changing BIOS config, etc. doesn't help. Yet, if I boot with 10.13.5 on a USB stick, it comes up and can do the install. I also found that trying to use Multibeast 10.4 fails... as after a reboot, there are no drives to boot from.
For the time being, I'm going to stay on 10.13.5 and find a new WiFi/BT card.... hopefully the local vendor will either accept the defective card back or possibly swap it out for another. It's just been a trying number of weeks with High Sierra.

Well, I've been working on this on/off for weeks. As it turns, the Wifi/BT card I bought (from a local vendor) was flakey at first and has basically cratered since. Initially when I installed the card, Wireless came up instantly... and a couple kexts had BT working as well. After a reboot, it stopped working... which led me to search and find the WiFi/BT thread and accompanying changes to the config, none working.
The card finally stopped working with BT as well and as of now, I can't boot anything unless I disable WiFi in BIOS. I did a full install and migrated a bunch of apps and data last night from an older Yosemite system... and it appear to be running fine (sans WiFi/BT). So I think I need to replace the failing adapter!
One last bit of info.... I also tried to install High Sierra 10.13.6 from a fresh USB stick... it won't boot... just the lovely circle with the line through it comes up after a while of trying. Changing BIOS config, etc. doesn't help. Yet, if I boot with 10.13.5 on a USB stick, it comes up and can do the install. I also found that trying to use Multibeast 10.4 fails... as after a reboot, there are no drives to boot from.
For the time being, I'm going to stay on 10.13.5 and find a new WiFi/BT card.... hopefully the local vendor will either accept the defective card back or possibly swap it out for another. It's just been a trying number of weeks with High Sierra.
See post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/m-2-single-sided-type-wi-fi-bluetooth-solution.251676/

Update! I bought a new DW1820A card from another vendor (via Newegg). I put the new one, and both Bluetooth and Wifi came right up and work perfectly. Bottom line, card started out as flakey/intermittent and finally died actually prevented OSX from booting. Thanks for the help/ideas...

Regards, KM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back