Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hello,
I run Monterey on a Gigabyte Z390 Designare with i9 9900 and Radeon RX 580 without any problem, except that my wired internet connexion disconnects and reconnects, sometimes often and sometimes not. The IP address is lost and is recovered 2-3 seconds later.
I searched about that problem but I'm lost in all posts, in the configuration diversity, in which kext I should have and which one I should not have...
Could you help me to fix that problem ?
Thanks,
T.

The Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard has 2 x Intel Ethernet ports, which port are you using?

Do you have the correct kexts in your OC setup for both ports? You should have the following kexts in your /OC/Kexts folder and enabled in your config.plist:
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext - Intel i211 PRO/1000, which is know to be problematic in macOS Monterey
  • IntelMausi.kext - Intel i219 Ethernet
As the SmallTrees kext is problematic in MacOS Monterey you should be using the i219 port, shown in the image below (from CaseySJ's Z390 guide).

Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 18.55.28.png Rear I/O plate for Z390 Designare MB

Thanks for your answer !
Yes, I'm using the i219 port and in /EFI/OC/Kexts and I have both IntelMausi.kext and SmallTreeIntel82576.kext.
How can I track the problem ? Do you have an idea ? :-s

Last edited:
You can try replacing the SmallTrees kext with AppleIGB.kext, which contains the device-id for the the i211 port controller, so should work with the other ethernet port in Monterey. Copy of the kext is attached below.

Alternatively if there is an option in the bios to disable the i211 controller you could try disabling the unused Ethernet port, as it might be interfering with the i219 port.

I assume you have checked the Ethernet cable, no serious kinks or bends, no crushed sections in the length of the cable, both 'boot' connectors are in good order and retained in the port aperture, so there are no loose connections in the motherboard/switch/router etc.

Attachments

• AppleIGB.kext.zip
    130.7 KB · Views: 54
I thought for 10 minutes that your suggestion worked perfectly but after 10 minutes using the i211 port with your AppleIGB.kext file, MacOS hanged completely and I had to hard reboot the computer...

Of course I checked the cable and other connexions...

I did not found in the bios the option to disable the i211 controller... :-s

I'm going to assume you have read this thread.

Have you seen the fix recommended for Intel 2.5GB controllers, which has been added to the the top of the first post? It relates to a firmware fix for the Intel 2.5GB controller, with a link to a Github page walking you through the fix.

That is probably the best you can do given the changes Apple has made to Monterey and presumably the new release - macOS 13 Ventura.

I'm going to assume you have read this thread.

Have you seen the fix recommended for Intel 2.5GB controllers, which has been added to the the top of the first post? It relates to a firmware fix for the Intel 2.5GB controller, with a link to a Github page walking you through the fix.

That is probably the best you can do given the changes Apple has made to Monterey and presumably the new release - macOS 13 Ventura.
Hmmmm. I looked carefully but that seems to aim Z490 mainboards, with i225V chipset.
I have Z390 Designare (not Z490) and my board chipsets are I211 and I219-V, not i225V...
I tried everything except flashing my ethernet chipset with a i225v rom...
What am I supposed to do with that fix ??

No you were not supposed to use that fix, as it is specifically for the i225-V controller.

The i211 controller stopped working in Monterey. So the same principle would apply regarding the other fix offered in that thread, i.e. install a supported PCIe Ethernet card, which uses a different controller/chip.

As your motherboard has 2 x Ethernet controllers, do you have two Ethernet kexts installed in your setup?
  1. The i219-v should work with IntelMausi.kext or IntelEthernetMausi.kext.
  2. The i211 should work with SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext, in Big Sur and older.

Attachments

• SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext.zip
    72 KB · Views: 49
  • IntelMausi.kext.zip
    58.9 KB · Views: 48
Well. Now, I do not have network anymore. And I can't restore previous configuration, it does not work anymore, I don't know why.
The Smalltree you provided caused an error at boot time. I had to remove it to boot again. Here is the error.

IMG_4732.jpeg

Now I have latest AppleIBG.kext, IntelMausi.kext. And you can find my config.plist attached...
Capture d’écran 2022-06-22 à 21.08.55.png

I'm lost. I don't know what I can do to recover wired internet (and Wifi internet, that I lost also).

Attachments

• config.plist
    30.7 KB · Views: 38
Ok I got it, finally. I saw that post and I activated AppleVTD following those instructions and the attached file.
I hope that now the wired connexion is more stable than before...

Attachments

• SSDT-DMAR.aml
    104 bytes · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back