Contribute
Register

Reverting ''Extension Migration Tool'' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z390 designare
CPU
i7 9700k
Graphics
ATI 560
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Portable
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi , how can i revert ''Extension Migration Tool'' in 10.7.1 , i like them as i was before, [ having the Hack extensions in the ''Extra'' folder, and not in S/L/E ] . In Multibeast i don't remember installing that feature .....or is a ''Default'' now??

You have to delete all kexts from /S/L/E which Extension Migration Tool has copied from /E/E to /S/L/E. After that you must run Multibeast 4.0.2 with the same settings ticked as you did before but w/o selecting Extension Migration Tool this time. Then edit the org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra and remove UseKernelCache=yes. Don't forget to select System Utilities also

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2011-10-11 um 21.30.18.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2011-10-11 um 21.30.18.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 239
Thnx , i will try.....

I was wondering same thing, should be an option in Multibeast to undo migration if you want to revert back for whatever reason.

There won't be a revert extension migration tool since Lion DOES NOT support loading extensions from /Extra/Extensions into the kernelcache or mkext files.

If you want to use /Extra/Extensions you won't be able to use Kernelcache=Yes. You will be booting as if you used -x EVERY TIME and force the kernel to read and load EVERY kext in /System/Library/Extensions and /E/E.

Way back when /E/E was first added you needed to worry about OS X updates overwriting all of the modified Apple kexts needed to run on non-Apple hardware. Now that we can run a basically vanilla retail installation we don't have to worry about this. Typically /E/E contains only the additional kexts needed for a hack like FakeSMC, audio and SATA injectors. These can be safely moved into /S/L/E since you don't have to worry about OS X updates overwriting them. For the tonymacx86 method the only patched kexts we use are AppleHDA and IOUSB and they are easily reinstalled using MultiBeast.

Moved to correct forum,
Lion Installation -> 10.7 Support.

@ MacMan

It makes sense i guess. Just harder for new people to locate Kexts to see whats actually installed now.

MacMan said:
If you want to use /Extra/Extensions you won't be able to use Kernelcache=Yes. You will be booting as if you used -x EVERY TIME and force the kernel to read and load EVERY kext in /System/Library/Extensions and /E/E.
Can't agree with that MM. Kexts in /E/E on my EFI Partition will be loaded fine by Lion. I don't have Kernelcache=Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist (why should i?) and i don't see any difference with the boottime compared to Snow Leopard. Lion boot up very fast on my SSD (10-15 secs.)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2011-10-19 um 22.54.35.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2011-10-19 um 22.54.35.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 153
But just so I'm clear, moving everything into /S/L/E is not mandatory, is it? I just restored my entire Lion machine after a complete meltdown after installing Chimera 1.5.4 with MB 4.0.2 (the first time I had run a Multibeast 4.0 release), and I had not ticked Migration Tool. I'm about to do Apple HDA rollback, and I don't want to have to do this all over again. ;)

Long story short--can I do the HDA rollback with Multibeast 4.0.3 without doing an Extension Migration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back