Contribute
Register

Return to yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon copy cloner verified itself but I didn't specifically ask for it to check bootable

every other install has gone no problem

i will try a reinstall to the clone

It won't let me do that either as I have backups on there

You have backups on your cloned drive? different partition would prove to be more effective. It might be worth partitioning the drive in Disk utility and creating a couple of partitions in future.

What do I do now

it says that drive is locked so I have unlocked it in disk utility
in the future buy a Mac mini perhaps

Its really good practice to have a bootable back up. El Capitan is still very new and of course there are going to installation problems. Install fresh onto another drive with either OS X Yosemite or El Capitan and see if you can access the cloned/backup drive to retrieve your data and possibly migrate your User/Applications over to your new installation.
I think you'll need an power management SSDT.aml for El Capitan (Sandybridge Processor)

Don't throw in the towel just yet....

i have managed to get yosemite running on another disk can i now use my cloned back up to replace the original?

If you have managed to install OS X Yosemite, move what you need from the cloned drive to your new install and make it your boot drive. Once you have the OS X installation drive just the way you want it. Use CCC to make a back of the drive and make it bootable.

If you are going to update to El Capitan on one of the drives, use Clover for your bootloader and post install as its needed for 10.11.

Just happy to have the computer working again

be a while before I try upgrading again and I will be much better prepared

thankyou for your time greatly appreciated

Just happy to have the computer working again

be a while before I try upgrading again and I will be much better prepared

thankyou for your time greatly appreciated

Glad to hear you have a working system again. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back