i7-3770K OC @ 4.6GHZ
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys

Im currently selling my machine to a friend and he wants only windows on the machine. How do I go about restoring the boot sector to that it boots normally. I have windows installed on the first Partition (C) and ML installed on the second partition.
Do I use startup recovery from the windows installation disc?
Any information appreciated..

Chris

Hey guys

Im currently selling my machine to a friend and he wants only windows on the machine. How do I go about restoring the boot sector to that it boots normally. I have windows installed on the first Partition (C) and ML installed on the second partition.
Do I use startup recovery from the windows installation disc?
Any information appreciated..

Chris

From an elevated command prompt in Windows:

bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr /force

What will this do exactly?

Will it remove the multibeast startup and restore back to the windows startup?
Also, can i delete the OSX partition and the 200mb partition alone with it?

Chris

What will this do exactly?

Will it remove the multibeast startup and restore back to the windows startup?
Also, can i delete the OSX partition and the 200mb partition alone with it?

Chris

It puts your Windows boot loader back, overwriting stage0 (boot record) of Chimera boot loader.

You can do whatever you want with your OSX partitions at that point. Realize you still have a hybrid GPT/MBR partition scheme, which you coul d fix up (turn to MBR only) using Linux gdisk.

I have a linux cd at home. how do i go about sorting the MBR

hmm

i tried that command from cmd and it said that bootsect is an unknown command

Ok, im running into problems here

I have successfully restored the windows boot sector and windows boots normally
I now want to extend the windows partition so that it uses the free space i created when i deleted the osx partition.,
I keep getting the message in partition magic that it cannot be done as it cannot be merged with the front partition. its GPT.

any ideas anyone? I tried using linux but couldnt make sense out of it.

Help appreciated.

Chris

Ok, im running into problems here

I have successfully restored the windows boot sector and windows boots normally
I now want to extend the windows partition so that it uses the free space i created when i deleted the osx partition.,
I keep getting the message in partition magic that it cannot be done as it cannot be merged with the front partition. its GPT.

any ideas anyone? I tried using linux but couldnt make sense out of it.

Help appreciated.

Chris

If your OS X partition was the first one (in front of the Windows one), then it is tricky because, of course, all the data has to be moved from the middle to the beginning. Partition magic is probably complaining because of the hybrid MBR/GPT situation. I don't know for sure, as I've never used partition magic. I usually use gdisk/gparted in Linux to do my partition cloning/editing work.

You could look at my HD67GD guide as I had to use gdisk to convert between MBR/GPT using gdisk: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...e-i7-2600k-hd3000-ml-10-8-2-a.html#post520519.

Note that minor changes in partition layout can affect the Windows BCD (boot configuration data) files, as they use partition GUIDs to track the various partitions. So, after moving/resizing/cloning partitions, you often have to fix the BCD files using BCDEDIT.

Why not just re-install Windows from scratch? It might be a better option for someone that doesn't understand all this GPT/MBR stuff... And wouldn't the buyer of your PC be happier with a fresh install?

ive too much installed on this beast and a SHYTE internet connection, so itll take about 5 beards to install the updates etc again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back