MSI Z590 Torpedo
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi there,

this is one of a very few issues that keep bugging me and I don't know how to solve this no matter where I look.
I know there are hundreds of shut down issue threads out there, but there is one important difference:
macOS itself shuts down fine. It's only Windows 10 and the OC bootloader that always restart my PC instead of shutting it down.
Plus, even a long press on the power button results in a restart.

This is my setup:

Opencore 0.7.0
Latest Windows 10 | macOS Big Sur 11.4 (both on separate SSDs)
MSI Z370m Mortar (latest BIOS version installed which is v19)
Radeon RX 6900 XT
3,7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 (8700k Coffee Lake)
32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4
SMBIOS is set to iMac 19,1

I successfully mapped my USB ports.
According to Dortania's guide, my power management is fine (even though my Hackintosh reboots when going to sleep - maybe this is related?).

My SSDs are NVME by the way, but the issue has been there long before.

I can't help but suspect my BIOS settings, but I have no idea.
I found a post which said to disable SGX, but it's already disabled (by default).
I set HiberbootEnabled to 0 in the Windows registry, didn't work (I didn't expect it to, since I don't believe this is a Windows issue).

Does anyone have an idea why my PC refuses to shut down properly? Any help would be appreciated.
If it helps, find my ioreg report and config file attached.

:(

Attachments

• ioreg.ioreg
    9 MB · Views: 49
  • config.plist
    28.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Post a copy of your USBMap.kext or USBPorts.kext so we can see what you are using in the way of a USB configuration. Sleep and reboot issues are often USB related.

Your IOReg is corrupt and can't be opened. When creating a copy of your IOReg you should follow this guide and use the version of IORegistryExplorer linked to the guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

I would recommend you look at some of the options you have selected, and more importantly some you have not selected in your OC config.plist. These sections are missing a number of common entries for a Coffee Lake system:
Kernel > Quirks section
Misc > Debug section
Misc > Security section

You haven't followed the OC guide for your Coffee Lake system.

Hi Edhawk, thanks for your help!
Sorry I wasn't aware of that. Here's another IOReg copy (saved as a copy this time, plus another one from IOReg 2.1 as linked in the guide), plus my USBMap.kext.

Thanks for pointing out the missing entries, I'll check that in a minute.

Attachments

• 10tacle.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 57
Your 'Marvs Mac' IOReg is corrupt.

The 'Marvs Mac_ioreg_2,1' opens just fine.

USBMap.kext:
Your USBMap.kext is not loading and if it did it would only load the following 10 USB2 ports: HS01, HS02, HS05, HS06, HS07, HS08, HS09, HS10, HS11 and HS12.

There are no SSxx ports in the USBMap.kext, so basically no USB3 speed USB ports are enabled for macOS.
HS09 is set with the internal Connector Type, i.e. a USB2 Header port, the rest are all set with the USB3 connector type, i.e. USB virtual ports from USB3 physical ports.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 19.58.55.png USBMap.kext Info.plist showing USB ports (ProperTree plist editor)

You can add 5 more ports to your current setup. These ideally should all be USB3 ports, which I am sure you will need.

Your MSI motherboard has the following USB ports:
  • 8 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (4 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB connectors)
  • 6 x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB connectors)
This means your motherboard has a total of 22 USB ports, 14 physical ports and 8 USB2 virtual ports.

Based on the above I would think that two of the ports in your existing USBMap.kext config are wrong and should be set with the USB connector type 'USB2' (2). Unless of course the two USB ports on the back panel are HS03 and HS04, which you have already omitted from your setup.

IOReg:
Your IOReg shows that the first 15 USB ports are being activated. HS01 - HS14 and SS01. This is the default position when no USB port limit patches are enabled and when a USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml are not loading.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 20.00.18.png screenshot from IOReg, showing the first 15 USB ports are active

Recommendations:
  1. Remove the current USBMap.kext it is not fully functional for your system.
  2. Read and follow this guide by UtterDisbelief for your USB configuration - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
Your USB setup is probably the cause of your system automatically waking and not shutting down. Until you create and install a compatible USB configuration this will remain the case.

Wow thanks for the detailed reply. Makes perfect sense, I just ditched my usbmap.kext, added usbinjectall.kext and set xhciportlimit to true... but now after rebooting none of my usb ports are working, except two. I've read that this has been a common issue for Big Sur, but now I don't quite understand how I'm supposed to do the port mapping. Hackintool isn't showing any changes when I plug in any devices (except for HS11 and 12). My bluetooth isn't working either because the internal usb port is dead as well.

Is there a solution to this? According to Dortania's guide, I don't need any renames, so that shouldn't be related.

Which version of USBInjectAll.kext are you using? The older versions 0.7.1 etc have problems with the newer systems. Your Z370 may need 0.7.5 or 0.7.6 to work with Big Sur.

Version 0.7.5 attached.

Attachments

• USBInjectAll.kext.zip
    17 KB · Views: 48
I was using 0.7.6, but testing 0.7.5 now, thanks!
If that won't do either, I'll give it a try with 0.7.3. According to the guide, this is the recommended version anyway.

Edit: no luck with any of them. :(

Last edited:
post a copy of your current/revised config.plist, with the Serial etc redacted or deleted. So I can see what you are using.

I set xhciportlimit to false again and now my ports are working again. That's what some people suggested. However, the port mapping guide says I should set it to true and I assume not without a reason.

Anyway, here's my current config (serial etc deleted).

Attachments

• config.plist
    28.8 KB · Views: 48
The reason it is working with the quirk set to false is a bug in Big Sur 11.4. I am not sure if the bug has been fixed in the new update 11.5, which was released today.

Please use UtterDisbelief's guide when configuring your USB ports, not Corpnewt's guide. I have nothing against Corpnewt's guide, but there are quite a few people here that can assist you with Hackintool and using UtterDisbelief's guide.

Can you post a copy of your IOReg so we can see which ports are being activated in your system, with the XhciPortLimit quirk disabled.

I will have a look at your config tomorrow, as it is 11.20pm here in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back