Contribute
Register

Researching to build: High Sierra Customac Pro; Thunderbolt 2 and 3 needed; Apollo Twin Duo mkii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I’m currently researching which parts I’ll need to build a Customac Pro with High Sierra OSX (for heavy music production). My audio interface is an UAD Apollo Twin Duo mkii so it’s imperative that the motherboard will work flawlessly with it. The UAD Apollo Twin Duo requires a Thunderbolt 2 connection, but I would like to have the speed benefits of Thunderbolt 3/ USB C 3.1. Also, I don’t have to buy the best video card, but I do use Photoshop and Final Cut Pro fairly often (no video games though). I did read through the buyers guide to familiarize myself with the current market complements, but just wanted to pick your brains and get this going in the right direction : )

Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I’m currently researching which parts I’ll need to build a Customac Pro with High Sierra OSX (for heavy music production). My audio interface is an UAD Apollo Twin Duo mkii so it’s imperative that the motherboard will work flawlessly with it. The UAD Apollo Twin Duo requires a Thunderbolt 2 connection, but I would like to have the speed benefits of Thunderbolt 3/ USB C 3.1. Also, I don’t have to buy the best video card, but I do use Photoshop and Final Cut Pro fairly often (no video games though). I did read through the buyers guide to familiarize myself with the current market complements, but just wanted to pick your brains and get this going in the right direction : )

Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks for your help!

We're running the UAD Apollo Twin Duo via Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter at our home-studio.

CPU: i7-6700k
MB: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
GPU: Sapphire PULSE RX580 8GB (We also work in Adobe PS, AE, and Premiere. FCPX as well)
Audio Interface: UAD Apollo Twin Duo (non MkII)
macOS: 10.14.6
Pro Tools: 2019.6

Did you have any problems initially? I am running high Sierra and mine is the mkii so I’m not sure if that will make any difference in compatability ‍

Did you have any problems initially? I am running high Sierra and mine is the mkii so I’m not sure if that will make any difference in compatability ‍

Just had to go through the Thunderbolt installation and update process in Windows first - which is outlined elsewhere on the site in a general Thunderbolt guide. If I can remember the thread I'll link it.

Just had to go through the Thunderbolt installation and update process in Windows first - which is outlined elsewhere on the site in a general Thunderbolt guide. If I can remember the thread I'll link it.

Yes, I’ve read that while researching. Some people have called it a “cold boot” with windows to activate the thunderbolt then booting it up in the OSX

Have a look at this thread.

We're running the UAD Apollo Twin Duo via Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter at our home-studio.

MB: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

Great to know it is possible, thanks!

Yes, I’ve read that while researching. Some people have called it a “cold boot” with windows to activate the thunderbolt then booting it up in the OSX

I rarely run into that scenario anymore (think last time was about 10months ago). It's been like butter for a while now.

I rarely run into that scenario anymore (think last time was about 10months ago). It's been like butter for a while now.
Awsome : ) what guide did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back