Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all!

I have built a desktop that is about 95% of the way stable, but plan on donating that to my little brother so he can have a gaming PC and a college PC. I will be replacing it with a system that I plan on building with 6 or 8 cores (multithread) for development and gaming purposes.

What I'm looking for is a 100% compatible - everything working out of the box - super computer build that will last me at least the next 4 years.

I would like a GTX 1080, 64-128GB RAM, an Octa-Core i7 or i9 CPU (don't know if i9 is supported by OS X), and a pro motherboard.

I'd like all out of the box components to work 100% without any major fiddling with the boot or system configs.

Can someone please point me to some components that would be ideal for my uber build? I have a local Fry's electronics near me (Texas), so I have the ability to buy super high end components at a reasonable price.

My budget is $4K.

I'd like all out of the box components to work 100% without any major fiddling with the boot or system configs.

The only thing that's going to be 100% compatible without any fiddling is an Apple made Mac.

Building a hackintosh by nature will require some fiddling. You can try to minimize the amount of fiddling you have to do by building systems with specs and components as close to what Apple uses in their machines as possible but no matter how close you are to a Mac's specs and components, some fiddling will still be required.

Currently, the only Macs that have 6-8 cores are Mac Pros and they are using dated CPUs and chipsets. The Skylake-X CPUs you are considering are not currently used in any Macs and will probably require more fiddling than with, for example, a Skylake system because Apple used Skylake with their iMacs.

Well, they do have an iMac Pro with 18 cores coming out, which would imply that the Skylake-X CPUs are going to work with High Sierra. One of the main reasons I want to build a box is so I can have a development box to use during the day, and a gaming system to use in the evening.

Dual GTX 1080s in a Windows box and an OS X box are both supported, so I should be able to use at least 3 4K displays on the box.

I had a Z97X-UD5H board a while back with 8 cores and it worked great. Almost everything worked 100% out of the box. That's what I'm wanting - something nearly as stable as that. I think an Asus Maximus XI Gene board will do it, but I want to make sure that I can use the 8 or 10 core CPUs.

Well, they do have an iMac Pro with 18 cores coming out, which would imply that the Skylake-X CPUs are going to work with High Sierra. One of the main reasons I want to build a box is so I can have a development box to use during the day, and a gaming system to use in the evening.

I had a Z97X-UD5H board a while back with 8 cores and it worked great. Almost everything worked 100% out of the box. That's what I'm wanting - something nearly as stable as that. I think an Asus Maximus XI Gene board will do it, but I want to make sure that I can use the 8 or 10 core CPUs.

It's a little early to invest a huge amount of money in a Skylake X system and expect everything to work OOB with macOS. We know that if it will work with High Sierra you'll probably be better off with an AMD Vega graphics card(s). We know for sure there will be support for those. There may not even be any driver support from Nvidia for dual 1080's in High Sierra. We just don't know this far ahead. If you want to jump in and be on the bleeding edge you can do that but you'll need to have realistic expectations and a few boxes of band aids nearby.

Well, given the compatibility factors as of late, I'm good getting either an Asus Gene board, or a Gigabyte series board, as they seem to be best supported. I'll try my luck with an X299 board, or something similar, and see how my luck plays out.

Well, given the compatibility factors as of late, I'm good getting either an Asus Gene board, or a Gigabyte series board, as they seem to be best supported. I'll try my luck with an X299 board, or something similar, and see how my luck plays out.
Past and current hardware support really is no indication of how compatible any one X299 board will be, until Apple has released X299 Macs and the updated macOS to run on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back