Contribute
Register

Request expert to help for Upgrade to Monterey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a standard Radeon RX580 4GB or 8GB graphics card, there are no issues running macOS. As the standard RX580 is natively supported in macOS from Sierra to Ventura.

The exception to this is when someone owned the card before you, and flashed a Mining or alternative bios to the card. Then the card is likely to run poorly, if it runs macOS at all.

RX580 2048SP:
You have purchased a non-standard RX580 2048SP graphics card, which has a different device-id (0x6FDF) compared to the standard RX580.

View attachment 563947

Therein lies your issue. You have purchased a non-standard RX580 graphics card, which uses the Polaris 20 XL chip.

RX470/480/570/580:
The RX470/480/570/580 graphics cards all use the Device-ID 0x67DF with the Polaris 20 XTX chip onboard.

Each of the links above will take you to a Specification page for the respective GPU. On each page there are links to the main variants for each card. Opening any of the links for the respective GPU's will show you pictures of the card, display-out connectors etc.

I have 3 x RX580 8GB, 1 x RX480 8GB and 2 x RX470 8GB graphics cards running in a few of my Desktop Hacks. All of them work out of the box (OOB) in macOS with no extra kexts or patches. As they are all natively supported by macOS, as they all use the same supported Device-ID. As shown below.

View attachment 563950View attachment 563949

View attachment 563951View attachment 563948

I own 4 x Sapphire Nitro+ and 2 x PowerColor Red Devil graphics cards.

They all have identical display out connectors, i.e. 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI & 3 x DisplayPort. They all drive 2 or more 2560x1440 displays over DisplayPort connections, with no issues.

If you can be bothered to read the information in the AMD section of the GPU Buyers Guide, it will tell you which modern AMD cards work, which to avoid and in which version of macOS they work.

@Edhawk
Thanks for your all GPU info provided.

Yes. My RX580 graphic card considers a non-standard RX580 card for macOS as the card model.

And it has an different DeviceID , also it just comes with 2 HDMI ports and 2 Display Ports without DVI port. Is it FAKE sapphire GPU card?
Therefore, it can NOT just plug and play for macOS even added kexts or patches.
The problem is how I can know that the card is a standard RX580 card or a non-standard card?

Could you please share more details your cards model?
For example as the photo.
Thanks.

Last edited:
RX 580 2048SP is re-modelled RX 570 for China. Maybe you could try to flash it.

RX 580 2048SP is re-modelled RX 570 for China. Maybe you could try to flash it.
@Bustycat
I prefer to get the card native for Hackintosh.
It will be better than doing any flash or add kext and patcher.

Last edited:
No your GPU is not a ’Fake’ card.

One of the RX580, the RX480 and the two RX470 are Sapphire Nitro+ cards.
The other two RX580 cards are PowerColor Red Devil cards.

All of these GPUs are mounted in a Hackintosh system, so taking photos of them is not possible at this time.

This is a link to the TechPowerUp specifications page for my 2 x PowerColor Red Devil RX580 GPUs

This is link to the TechPowerUp specifications page for my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 GPU

Both linked pages contain the model number, below the card name.

All of these GPUs are mounted in a Hackintosh system, so taking photos of them is not possible at this time.

This is a link to the TechPowerUp specifications page for my 2 x PowerColor Red Devil RX580 GPUs

This is link to the TechPowerUp specifications page for my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 GPU

@Edhawk
I know it’s hard for you.
Perhaps, At least take 1 card’s photo of the model number, if you don’t mind.

I‘d prefer go for RX580.
Just confirm the card I am gonna get is as similar as yours and fully native to use macOS.

Last edited:

@Edhawk
I found a card.
RX580 (AMD)
Is this graphic card native as plug and play ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, that Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 card looks OK and should work out of the box with macOS.

Yes, that Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 card looks OK and should work out of the box with macOS.
@Edhawk
U Sure about this?
Is this card model same as yours current rx580 card which u are using now and installed macos?
Answer:

How do u ensure this rx580 will definitely work out of the box?
Answer:

What masoc version u installed with this rx580 card?
Answer:

Any special boot arg or need next for installation?
Answer:

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
U Sure about this?
Can pls update me below.
Is this card model same as yours current rx580 card which u are using now and installed macos?
Answer:

How do u ensure this rx580 will definitely work out of the box?
Is the Device ID?
Or is the model core 2304?
Answer:

What masoc version u installed with this Nitro+ rx580 card?
Answer:

Any special boot arg or need next for installation?
Answer:

Your answer is very much appreciated and important to me. Thanks a lot.
You asked Edhawk, but I will contribute my answer here also (like it or not):
1. My card is a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro Plus (as I have written in a previous post on this thread).
2. Deviceid on my card is 0x67DF. Don't know the model core number.
3. Have used this card in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and I am currently using it in MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (in my computer at left).
4. I have NO boot-args Value at all in OpenCore 0.8.9. The Value field is empty.

You are welcome.

Similar response.
  1. Yes, this is the same make and model as my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 card
  2. This Sapphire Nitro+ and the Pulse dGPU are known to work out of the box in macOS.
    1. The Bios, Device ID and my experience with my own Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 tell me this card should work.
  3. The RX580 works in macOS Sierra 10.12.0 through to the current release of Ventura 13.2.1 (inclusive).
  4. No, you do not need any special kexts, patches or 'Fixes' for this card to work.
    1. All you need to ensure is that you have a recent version of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your setup, whether that be Clover or OpenCore bootloader.
  5. Use of adapters and adapter cables such as HDMI/DP to VGA are not supported.
    1. You are best off using a DisplayPort to DisplayPort connection/cable when possible.
Finally there is NO Guarantee that a secondhand card will work in macOS, as you already found to your cost.

All you can do is purchase the card and hopefully return it for a refund, if the card doesn't work. So you need to be careful that the online retailer (eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress etc,) provides a refund option and reasonable timeframe to test and undertake the return, if it is found to be defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back