CPU
i5-2400
Graphics
R7 250
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Good day forum! This is my first post on tonymacx86, but I have been a "lurker" for some time and have absorbed a lot (enough to successfully build a CustoMac on Boxing Day and getting it up and fully operational, even migrated all my data from my iMac, by Dec 27 - ALL THANKS TO TONYMACX86 and a bunch of others I have not yet listed!). :headbang: :thumbup:

This time around, I am trying to hackintosh an older laptop I have - I am not expecting anything special, but would like to at least get an install done.

This laptop is an Asus W5f. The problem I am currently experiencing is that the main hard drive (a 40GB IDE on the Primary Master IDE Channel) is not being detected in the Snow Leopard Installer (or the Disk Utility I ran from the Installer).

Now, to explain myself more fully. I had a long fight getting to the Installer screen in the first place. I would get the Mac Logo screen and then Kernal Panic. I have used both iBoot and iBoot Legacy with the same result.

According to the verbose output, I found that the IOATAFamily was where things were hanging and after hours (and days) of searching I found references to removing this kext and trying again (yet I found not one post that clearly mentioned WHERE the kext files are on the Install media, so after Discovering they are in /System/Library/Extensions from the root) **thankfully I created a Snow Leopard Install USB Stick from my Retail Disc (10.6) that I purchased**

So now, with no options at iBoot set, I can get into the Installer and choose my language, but can not access the IDE Hard Drive on which to install Snow Leopard (presumably as I removed the ATA kext that is needed!)

I have read references to the JMicronX86 kext from Multibeast, but how could I make the installer load this kext in place of the IOATAFamily kext (IOATAFamily is the point where the KP occurs). Or, am I even on the right track? o_O

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

For the record, the basic specs on the Asus W5f that I have are as follows:
- Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 1.66GHz
- 1.5 GB DDR2 533 MHz DDR2-667
- 12.1" WXGA LCD Capabale of 1440x900
- Embedded Intel 945GM
- Hard Drive: IDE 2.5" 40 GB (5400 rpm) HDD
- Optical Drive: IDE Built-in DVD-RW
- Communications: Modem, LAN, WLAN (802.11 a/b/g), BlueTooth
- Sound: Integrated Intel High Definition Audio chip (Azalia)

Just trying to bump this and see if I can get any type of response.

Thanks in advance for any efforts!

I think you might have some problems with 945GM, 950 is supported, i'm not sure if 945 can be fully functional.

I can appreciate the possibility of a video glitch, but video has been fully functional.

The only issue I am having in the "missing" IDE Hard Drive.

I expect this is a Kext issue, but don't know how to go about resolving it.

Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back