Onboard Intel 4000 HD with Dual Monitors
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello All
I've been using my cherished Hackintosh for the past 4 years, an aging Gigabyte EP35, nVidia GT8800 (2x 20-inch monitors running 1050 x 1680), 8gb RAM and core2duo CPU. I have Snow Leopard 10.6.7. I have a reasonably large case on the floor, 3 drive bays, including an integrated, swappable 2tb for TimeMachine backups. Every 10 or so months, I take it out and put in the safe.

I primarily use this machine for iWork and for Lightroom / Photoshop Elements / Premiere cs4 . I have a couple hundred gig of family photos.

I want to update my system. I am torn between the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 in my existing Antec 900 case, or a smaller system, the Mini-ITX GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI LGA 1155 (HDMI), which has dual HDMI for video, encased in a LIAN LI PC-Q16A Silver Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 300W Power Supply.

I'm leaning towards the much smaller Mini-ITX system. As with all things, space is a precious and difficult-to-find commodity. All things being equal, I'd go for the full-size system and a powerful CUDA-enabled graphics adapter hands down, without debate or second though. However, all things are not equal, and space is an important consideration.

Video Adapter selection is my important question... Can I get good graphics performance for the 3 listed Adobe programs on a dual-monitor 1920x1080 resolution with the integrated Intel HD4000 graphics if the system is outfitted with 16gb Ram and an Ivy Bridge quadcore i7 CPU? My plan is to also have an SSD for OS / Applicaitons, and a 1tb hd for data (iTunes library, Photos, Video projects, etc.)

I never use games on my system.

thank you for any hands-on experience advice you have to share.

-dave

I'm sorry, I should maybe have mentioned that the other application I'll use is Virtualization, with Parallels 8, to run 1 or 2 simultaneous Win7 64-bit VMs for compatibility with MS office / VPN, etc.

I expect that much of the above will come from CPU and RAM and hard drive, but a possibility it'll affect graphics adapter.

-dave

GTX 660 Ti, brand doesn't matter.

I'm sorry, I should maybe have mentioned that the other application I'll use is Virtualization, with Parallels 8, to run 1 or 2 simultaneous Win7 64-bit VMs for compatibility with MS office / VPN, etc.

I expect that much of the above will come from CPU and RAM and hard drive, but a possibility it'll affect graphics adapter.

-dave

all your apps are CPU intensive and a high powered graphics card really wouldn't make that much difference. I see no reason the HD4000 onboard wouldn't do the job. Just max out the board for as much ram as it will take and an i7 K version CPU and you ought to be good.

all your apps are CPU intensive and a high powered graphics card really wouldn't make that much difference. I see no reason the HD4000 onboard wouldn't do the job. Just max out the board for as much ram as it will take and an i7 K version CPU and you ought to be good.
Really? I have always thought that Lightroom/Photoshop/Elements are GPU intensive programs since we need to render the things. Or it is only important when we rendering video files?

Really? I have always thought that Lightroom/Photoshop/Elements are GPU intensive programs since we need to render the things. Or it is only important when we rendering video files?

Never used them for video, but photoshop has always seemed to be more CPU intensive (could be the 7600GT or the 8800GS I used to use, too. Not much there to be used. :lol:

Never used them for video, but photoshop has always seemed to be more CPU intensive (could be the 7600GT or the 8800GS I used to use, too. Not much there to be used. :lol:

Perhaps I'm mistaken... but weren't we those who were suggesting GTX660 and higher cards for Photoshop and for other Adobe products? Just because then the users ~30% don't need any high classified graphics card but only a HD4000.:mrgreen:

think both of you are right.
for apps that can use the gpu, there is a lot of benefit

photoshop, after effects and premiere can make use of gpu acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back