Contribute
Register

Report your NVIDIA Web Driver and CUDA issues and I'll pass them on to the developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just trying to understand why it only affects Skylake and newer, including Skylake and newer real macs with eGPU. That doesn't make sense

AppleGVA function is not supported by Apple in SKL/KBL + Nvidia system (IVY/Haswell + Nvidia is native supported), also IOVARendererID and SubID are not exist in Maxwell and Pascal Web driver, although we can hack it with shiki.kext or patched AppleGVA to support SKL/KBL + Nvidia, but 2D and VA acceleration are not optimised for those GPU.

Kelper base GPU is better, IOVARendererID and SubID are existed in native OS driver, optimised for IVY/Haswell + Nvidia, but not SKL/KBL. My Kelper base GT630/GT730 + SKL/KBL, UI performance are acceptable, mosts of apps are smooth but some apps still have slightly sluggish compared with AMD GPU and Intel IGPU.

AppleGVA function is not supported by Apple in SKL/KBL + Nvidia system (IVY/Haswell + Nvidia is native supported), also IOVARendererID and SubID are not exist in Maxwell and Pascal Web driver, although we can hack it with shiki.kext or patched AppleGVA to support SKL/KBL + Nvidia, but 2D and VA acceleration are not optimised for those GPU.

Kelper base GPU is better, IOVARendererID and SubID are existed in native OS driver, optimised for IVY/Haswell + Nvidia, but not SKL/KBL. My Kelper base GT630/GT730 + SKL/KBL, UI performance are acceptable, mosts of apps are smooth but some apps still have slightly sluggish compared with AMD GPU and Intel IGPU.

NvidiaGraphicsFixup adds IOVARendererID/SubID for Maxwell and Pascal. Shiki fixes AppleGVA. Again, I'm not sure what this driver is doing differently than 104-106 where it worked fine on SKL/KBL + Nvidia. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Everything you propose here was already an issue before and was fixed or worked around as best as possible, and there was no lag before. Yeah. Nvidia performance isn't optimal on SKL/KBL + Nvidia, but it wasn't the laggy trash it is now. And it's not 10.13.3 itself because with 104-106, it works fine.

I'm still thinking that faking a Coffee Lake CPU might be something to try, just because it's relatively undefined in macOS and might avoid something new in the the driver that is conflicting . . .

NvidiaGraphicsFixup adds IOVARendererID/SubID for Maxwell and Pascal. Shiki fixes AppleGVA. Again, I'm not sure what this driver is doing differently than 104-106 where it worked fine on SKL/KBL + Nvidia. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Everything you propose here was already an issue before and was fixed or worked around as best as possible, and there was no lag before. Yeah. Nvidia performance isn't optimal on SKL/KBL + Nvidia, but it wasn't the laggy trash it is now.

shiki.kext + XXXXfixup only hack it to support GVA function in SKL/KBL + Nvidia system, not a solution for sluggish issue.

shiki.kext + XXXXfixup only hack it to support GVA function in SKL/KBL + Nvidia system, not a solution for sluggish issue.

It fixes the "General High Sierra Sluggishness" people reported on 10.13 before 10.13.3 and the bad Nvidia drivers. That sluggishness affected videos and browsers. Fixing GVA fixes that issue. It does not fix the lag with the new Nvidia drivers on 10.13.3

It fixes the "General High Sierra Sluggishness" people reported on 10.13 before 10.13.3 and the bad Nvidia drivers. That sluggishness affected videos and browsers. Fixing GVA fixes that issue. It does not fix the lag with the new Nvidia drivers on 10.13.3

I compared Haswell + Nvidia with native driver vs SKL/KBL + Nvidia with new Web driver, result are the same SKL/KBL + Nvidia still lagging.

The general laginess has to do with the fact that High Sierra uses Metal 2 everywhere now and nVidia hasn't optimized for that and most likely won't unless pinged by Apple.

The good news is eGPU has better support in 10.13.4+ so nVidia has an incentive to fix this. They just want to sell cards.

The general laginess has to do with the fact that High Sierra uses Metal 2 everywhere now and nVidia hasn't optimized for that and most likely won't unless pinged by Apple.

The good news is eGPU has better support in 10.13.4+ so nVidia has an incentive to fix this. They just want to sell cards.

Again, I didn't really have "general lagginess" on High Sierra until 10.13.3 and the 156/157 driver. And downgrading to 104 fixes it. I had been using my iGPU and Nvidia card at the same time with Shiki, and that fixed all the video and browser lag for me.

The whole point is that I'm trying to understand what is so broken on 156/157 on Skylake and newer systems specifically with Nvidia when NvidiaGraphicsFixup and Shiki had basically taken care of all the issues before. That's all. I understand that AMD Graphics are the better choice for hackintosh now. And I understand that Nvidia is not well-optimized. But that doesn't really explain what I'm after.

Nvidia + Haswell and older are fine so I don't think it's a Metal 2 issue.

Here's the next horrible idea: You both have well-confirmed that it's not connected to SMBIOS. Cool.

You know, Clover can fake CPUs too . . . ;p

FakeCPUID. Now, Faking Haswell and newer is generally not generally recommended due to new modes and instructions added on Haswell. But that should be fine for Skylake and newer, since they will possess the Haswell+ instructions. In fact, the CPUID we might try is the one from Broadwell (0x0306D0). And if that does not work, try Haswell (0x0306C0). Not sure it's a good idea to go back before that . . .

I think trying FakeCPUID was one of the first things I tried and nothing improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back