Contribute
Register

Report: Apple looking into alternatives to Intel CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless Apple has some serious innovation to the ARM architecture, I don't see how this is even remotely possible. While gains have been impressive, ARM still trails WAY behind desktop class processors from intel and AMD.

Well I guess, if apple switch to ARM, and this is the end of Hackintosh era, but, seriously, why apple wanna switch into not-powerfull processor ? it will kill the entire of power desktop, i hope it just only for iOS or anything else that apple wanna innovate again with new hardware...

Yeah really don't see this happening for the entire lineup. I see maybe something slotting into the Mac Mini position with ARM. At the end of the day its just a way they can keep Intel moving forward IMO. If they show them hey our OS is capable of running on this other architecture and the performance is still decent it just helps keep them flexible. Not that they couldn't at any time hit up AMD as well. But think about it. The first generation Air's had pretty crap little CPU's in them. Yet they were still great little machines. Using fast RAM and SSD makes up for a lot of the "daily" workflow. These certainly aren't gaming rigs but rather surfing and email machines. I would say a VERY large percentage of users are that way so why should they pay for the power when it just isn't needed or wanted?

I can't see this happening. Apple would lose a lot of its clout in negotiating deals for the peripherals it includes in its systems and would have to write its own drivers for almost every piece of hardware out there. This would be a very expensive undertaking using funds that I think Apple would want to dedicate to something else.

I can see them trying to expand their Tablet/iPad markets by enhancing their CPUs and offerings, though. I think the two will remain separate for a long time.

It would be a very sad day for me if they ever dumped the x86 architecture. Guess I'd have to go back to using Linux. OS X gives me all of the stability I want without the endless hours of configuration to make it work and look the way I want it to. These past 3.5 years of using OS X as my primary OS on Macs and Hackintoshes probably been more enjoyable for me than the previous 16 years of computer use put together (using Windows ME for 3 years skews that more than a little bit). Apple would be leading their desktop/laptop division to ruin if they dump the x86. After the Intel transition, Macs went from something I kinda wanted to have (as a second computer) to something I absolutely had to have.

The last two years has seen Apple reduce its OSX teams, and limit upgrades as it no longer wants to be updating old platforms. Apple makes good use of AMD and Intel staff, and apart from AMD who has problems with retaining their staff there is no competitor with clout that can match Intel.

The only issue I see is that intel are restricting the use of thunderbolt and using it as a platform to promote their own graphics and not authorizing the use of discrete graphics cards which likely is the reason that we have not many new Apple models this year so far. We have seen delays to thunderbolt devices promised in 2012 but still not here, so perhaps the threats are nothing more than political moves to get Intel to relax its policies.

I could see the mac air and mini being "reinvented" to be more iPad like and running the app store but leaving the "Pro" Macs intel based
as the "i" devices appear to be more growth then OsX

this is speculation at best...
apple is NOT canning intel for a while at least....
given a few years thy may come up with a viable cpu solution...
but for them to go totally "arm" is just stupid.....or a step back in processing power for osx..

Update to this story on MacRumors:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/12/apple-reportedly-tapping-tsmc-for-20-nm-quad-core-chips/

Hsu estimated Apple to design quad-core processors into iPad, iTV and even Macbook. iPhones will be still powered by duo-core processors to highlight its low power consumption merit… Apple’s contracts have been widely criticized for low margin to contract suppliers, likely the reason why TSMC has been reluctant to compete for Apple contracts. But Hsu thinks otherwise, estimating Apple’s quad-core chip, cost at around US$15, could be 10% cheaper once it is made by Taiwan’s supply chains involving TSMC, Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc. (ASE), and Kinsus Interconnect Technology Corp.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back