Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime z390-a
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
onboard
I built my hackintosh 2 years ago. After some light tweaks, everything worked great, no real problems.

I built it to do audio production work (Cubase, Ableton) with Universal Audio thunderbolt interfaces.
I run El Capitan and as long as I turn on the interfaces at the Clover boot screen, everything is great.

These are my specs:

Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH Mobo with Thunderbolt 3
Intel Core i7 6700K Processor (4 GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8 MB cache, LGA1151 Socket Box)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB Desktop Memory Kit
2 of Samsung 2.5 inch 250 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive
2 of Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 - TP-Link N900 Dl Band Wless N PCI-E Adpt
LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B 16 x Internal SATA BDRW Kit
BeQuiet 600 W Straight 10 Modular Power Supply Unit

A few weeks ago, out of the blue, the computer started turning on by itself then shutting off a few seconds later.
When I turn it on, it won’t post 9 times out of 10. After spending a long time troubleshooting, the only conclusion I can come up with is that the Gigabyte motherboard is dying.
I was going to buy a replacement but they don’t make it anymore. I saw a lot of people were having similar problems in the amazon reviews.

So, now I need some recommendations for a new replacement motherboard that will be compatible with all of my current hardware.
Most important is that it has working thunderbolt 3! - I still see so many people here that struggle with getting it working.

Also, if possible, I would like to continue using El Capitan. Mainly because I’m under the impression that people have not been able to get thunderbolt working reliably under any newer OS version. If I am wrong, please correct me!

Thanks for the help!

Have you tried replacing the battery on your motherboard? That could be the case of the problem you are seeing.
Thanks for the reply.
I haven't tried that but I did remove it to reset the cmos. It didn't change anything.
Why would this help? I haven't heard that a dead battery could stop a computer from booting?

In the meantime, I'm still looking for motherboard recommendations.

Last edited:
I tried replacing the battery and unfortunately it didn't help.

Is there a list somewhere that lists the current working thunderbolt motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back