HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hey All,

Great site, and soon to be my first attempt at a build. A little background, I converted to Mac about 6 years ago and have never looked back. Unfortunately my home server (HP Mediasmart) is still windows operated and since lion the Time Machine function with the server is too unstable to trust. So, the first build was to hopefully replace my HP server with a hackintosh server capable of Time Machine over the network (aka ML w/ OSX Server). From what i've read, it sounds like this will work fairly well. I also stream media from the server so that I don't have to fill up my laptop hard drive with the 400 movies i have.

Couple of questions though, and please feel free to direct me to another post if this is a repeat. I just wasn't having much luck with the searches.

1. I haven't built a computer for about 10 years now, so some of the new functions are throwing me a little. I wanted to run 2 500G-1TB drive in raid 1 for the system drive, then have two 2TB drive in raid 1 for my movie library and TM backups. As I understand it, this will take 4 SATA connections. Does this mean that whatever MOBO i choose will need to have 4 dedicated Sata connections, or can multiple hard drives be run in "series" from a single Sata connection on the MOBO (i.e. a cable with 3 connections). This may seem like a dumb question, but i've honestly never done a Sata build before.
  2. Does running the hard drives in a Raid 1 seem like the best use of the server? If i understand correctly, runnning in a Raid 1 keeps 2 mirrors of a single drive, so if one fails the second will pick up the slack till you replace and re-initialize the raid. Would it be better to have just a single system drive for the server and TM to a raided TM drive? Is there a better method to safeguard against sata loss? My main goal is simply ensuring that I don't loose the information (like my movies which have taken months to rip so i can store the cases in my attic).

I'm sure i'll have plenty more questions as I start to collet hardware. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Excellent idea. In reading the posts though, these all seem to relate to OSX Lion server. Can i assume the install process works the same for ML Server? (I'm guessing so, but wanted to make sure since i cant find OSX Lion Server (10.7.x) on the App Store anymore)

Also, if i read the posts correctly is sounds like the update to at least an E5200 processor is required to do this? Not really a deal breaker since I would want a faster processor anyways, but with a 5200 and 4 HD's can the case keep up with cooling or do i need additional fans? I've read mixed reviews on other sites saying it may or may not need more cooling with all that packed in there and it sounds like adding another fan is a bucket of fun.

For reference (if it matters) I "believe" my box is an EX490. I say "believe" because the bottom says its an EX490, but the processor says its a celeron 450. I thought the 440 was the standard processor for the 490. Could my box be a 495 instead? Not sure if any of this matters.

I'll keep digging online, but let me know what your setup was, and if the install is the same on ML if you get a chance.Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back