Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H55
CPU
i7 875
Graphics
GTX-1060
Keeping an older ProTools hack going, I had to replace the MB last year, so decided to upgrade the4 video card as well. Got a refurbished GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB Mini ITX OC Edition from Newegg that worked great, 3 monitors and everything! But now 1/2 year later suddenly only one DVI out works.

I can barely make these hacks run if the first place, so of course wish I could find the exact same thing. But since I can't, the closest lower budget cards I've found are:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC
EVGA GeForce GT 730
EVGA GeForce GT 610
ZOTAC GeForce GT 610

Can anyone speak to which of these might have the best chance at just working with little to no tweaking? Or any other suggetions? Any help much appreciated - TIA!

*(MB is correct in my sig, but as noted the GPU I need to replace is the 960, which doesn't show up as a choice in the pulldown menu when creating your hack sig).

To be compatible for Mojave, a graphics card needs to be Metal compatible. The GTX 1060 is definitely Metal compatible. I don't believer the 610 or 730 are Metal compatible. So, 1050/1050 Ti/1060 are good choices.

Unfortunately the 1060 is not plug and play when swapping for the 960 in this system. I get a page full of panics (after it starts to boot normally) and then a reboot cycle, rinse repeat. So I once again begin the adventure of trying to recall/figure (IOW search search search) how these things work to get a bootable rig again.

...At which point I will then get to start the process of making Protools shoot video out my Blackmagic card without hanging thanks to the Avid video engine/BM/sometimes Waves driver conflicts, which all crapped out after a PT update. And this after my 4K tv's mainboard died. AND my cable box died. (not all at the same time, but within a week and change of each other, so not a lightning strike). When it rains it pours,ugh.

Consider an AMD RX580. It's completely plug & play with MacOS, and the AMD cards seem to perform better than Nvidia cards. OpenCL + Metal just likes them better. If you're planning on dual boot and doing any gaming, I'd say go for an Nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back