Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Replaced Graphics Card, Now Doesn't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don't quite follow.

I'm using a different computer to load Disk Utility, but when I select the drive and "erase" it doesn't give the option for "Journaled", only APFS. What am I doing wrong?

It started in High Sierra we could use both journaled or apfs, then the option for journaled disappeared in Mojave. I use El Capitan or Sierra drives to erase in journaled. Disk utility kinda sucks now, older versions seem to be better formatted.

Can you use your backup El Capitan to boot and erase the disk?

Also, I tried to proceed with the fresh install without first reformating my drive. I prepared the thumbdrive with Unibeast, booted up Clover to install, got the crossed out circle symbol.
IMG_6494.jpg

It started in High Sierra we could use both journaled or apfs, then the option for journaled disappeared in Mojave. I use El Capitan or Sierra drives to erase in journaled. Disk utility kinda sucks now, older versions seem to be better formatted.

Can you use your backup El Capitan to boot and erase the disk?
Ah, gotcha now. Unfortunately I've been unable to boot my computer (which is High Sierra, despite the drive being named El Capitan) in any form, including safe mode, various kexts, GPU disconnected and using only the motherboards iGPU.

Nothing works, it only gets me to the Apple splash screen loading bar and no further. The only other computer I have any access to, for purposes of reformatting, is a Macbook Pro running Mojave.

Ah, gotcha now. Unfortunately I've been unable to boot my computer (which is High Sierra, despite the drive being named El Capitan) in any form, including safe mode, various kexts, GPU disconnected and using only the motherboards iGPU.

Nothing works, it only gets me to the Apple splash screen loading bar and no further. The only other computer I have any access to, for purposes of reformatting, is a Macbook Pro running Mojave.

Plug the Unibeast into your MacBook and mount the USB EFI. Check your Clover/Kexts/Other folder for FakeSMCkext. Also, check your Drivers64EFI folder for apfsautoloader and aptiomemoryfix. If you have those remove any OSXAptiofixdriver files.

Plug the Unibeast into your MacBook and mount the USB EFI. Check your Clover/Kexts/Other folder for FakeSMCkext. Also, check your Drivers64EFI folder for apfsautoloader and aptiomemoryfix. If you have those remove any OSXAptiofixdriver files.
Aye aye,

FakeSMCkext is in there.
apfsautoloader and aptiomemoryfix were not there, but OSXAptiofixdriver was. So I added both of the former and deleted the latter, and tried again.

Alas, I still get the crossed out circle.

Also, I should mention, I have my GPU removed and have my monitor plugged directly into the motherboard.

---
To recap so far:

My GPU died a few days ago, I replaced with one that seemed exactly the same, but doesn't boot. And I can't boot in safe mode, or with the GPU removed, or any combination of settings/injections I can think of.

I figured I'd do a fresh install, removed the GPU, boot with High Sierra Unibeast USB (and old SSD drive with High Sierra build still plugged in), I just get the crossed out circle.

Last edited:
Aye aye,

FakeSMCkext is in there.
apfsautoloader and aptiomemoryfix were not there, but OSXAptiofixdriver was. So I added both of the former and deleted the latter, and tried again.

Alas, I still get the crossed out circle.

Also, I should mention, I have my GPU removed and have my monitor plugged directly into the motherboard.

---
To recap so far:

My GPU died a few days ago, I replaced with one that seemed exactly the same, but doesn't boot. And I can't boot in safe mode, or with the GPU removed, or any combination of settings/injections I can think of.

I figured I'd do a fresh install, removed the GPU, boot with High Sierra Unibeast USB (and old SSD drive with High Sierra build still plugged in), I just get the crossed out circle.

First go into bios hold delete key at startup. Go to peripherals menu and set IGPU:IGFX as primary display output. Set minimum 64mb for DVMT.
Try clover boot menu use cursor arrows and go to Options then to graphics. Uncheck intel inject, add ig ID only 0x0a260006, then go to the ACPI section and uncheck all boxes in dsdt settings. Then to CPU tuning and uncheck half enabler and create Pstates. Then to binaries and set only applertc.

Progress! I no longer get the crossed out circle.

I went through Gigamaxx's above steps. The only actual change I made was in Clover Boot > Binaries I unchecked AppleIntelCPUPM Patch. (I didn't see an option to add ig ID only 0x0a260006. Everything else matched the settings Gigamaxx recommended.)
IMG_6552.jpg

So now I've progressed beyond the Apple Splash screen loading bar and into the fresh install process for High Sierra.

But the fresh install isn't working yet. It starts, but the screen goes black after a minute and the computer reboots. My guess is that I first need to find a way to reformat the drive. Attending to that now.

Thanks for help so far Gigamaxx and UtterDisbelief! This stuff can drive a person insane. :cool:

Will I be able to do a fresh High Sierra install on a drive formatted APFS instead of Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Or a reason someone might recommend I don't do that?

---

UPDATE: I formatted my drive APFS, and was able to do a fresh High Sierra Install. It was bumpy, I had to restart a couple of times. And, for a brief few minutes, I had a freshly-installed working computer.

Then, I got lunch, came back and it looks like it went into sleep mode and never woke.

I rebooted...and I'm back where I started. My freshly installed High Sierra build can't boot in, hangs on the Apple splash screen loading bar, just like before. Whyyyy!? :banghead:

Last edited:
Here's something peculiar: f12 isn't letting me choose my boot device. I tried changing the boot priority in the Bios and nothing I press lets me change the boot device. All other keyboard buttons seems to work fine. Now why would this be happening?

Here's something peculiar: f12 isn't letting me choose my boot device. I tried changing the boot priority in the Bios and nothing I press lets me change the boot device. All other keyboard buttons seems to work fine. Now why would this be happening?

It will not let you choose the boot device if there is only one bootable device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back