NVidia GTX560 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there,
Long time lurker, and using my self-built Hackintosh for over a year now, but I'm still running in a few crashes/hangups every once in a while. I have a strong feeling that it has to do with my graphics card, since I did a console check a few times, and most times before the reboot (searched for "bootlog" or something else and then the message before that), the console gave an NVDA channel timeout. Also, I read a lot about incompatibility with the type of card I'm using. I tried a couple of fixes but nothing works...

Basically, what happens with the crash is that I can keep the mouse moving, but nothing will work anymore. All programs stop responding, nothing responds to clicking. Funny thing is that music will continue playing until the next song, and then stops (with Spotify that is).

This is my setup:
MB: Gigabyte Z77-UP5-TH
CPU: Intel i7 Ivy Bridge 3770
RAM: Vengeance 16 GB RAM 1600 Mhz
GFX card: EVGA Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti (2 GB VRAM)

Next to that, a lot of TBs of storage. I am running Mac OS X 10.9 successfully but still keep the random crashes happen (not always with the channel timeout message in the console, but I can't really find anything else). I really want a crash-free setup so I'm looking into buying a new GFX card. So, my question is: what GFX card works ((almost?) guaranteed) perfectly with my setup and isn't above € 200? A performance boost is not necessary, I have all the power I need with the 560Ti, it's just that I don't want my machine crashing anymore.

I hope you guys can help!

Hi there,
Long time lurker, and using my self-built Hackintosh for over a year now, but I'm still running in a few crashes/hangups every once in a while. I have a strong feeling that it has to do with my graphics card, since I did a console check a few times, and most times before the reboot (searched for "bootlog" or something else and then the message before that), the console gave an NVDA channel timeout. Also, I read a lot about incompatibility with the type of card I'm using. I tried a couple of fixes but nothing works...

Basically, what happens with the crash is that I can keep the mouse moving, but nothing will work anymore. All programs stop responding, nothing responds to clicking. Funny thing is that music will continue playing until the next song, and then stops (with Spotify that is).

This is my setup:
MB: Gigabyte Z77-UP5-TH
CPU: Intel i7 Ivy Bridge 3770
RAM: Vengeance 16 GB RAM 1600 Mhz
GFX card: EVGA Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti (2 GB VRAM)

Next to that, a lot of TBs of storage. I am running Mac OS X 10.9 successfully but still keep the random crashes happen (not always with the channel timeout message in the console, but I can't really find anything else). I really want a crash-free setup so I'm looking into buying a new GFX card. So, my question is: what GFX card works ((almost?) guaranteed) perfectly with my setup and isn't above € 200? A performance boost is not necessary, I have all the power I need with the 560Ti, it's just that I don't want my machine crashing anymore.

I hope you guys can help!

I don't know what's causing your crashes, but it certainly sounds like it might be the graphics card. That freezing is a well-known problem with nVidia Fermi-based cards (including the 560Ti). Here are just a few of the threads I found about the "Fermi freeze":

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ermi-freeze-back-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/112749-mavericks-fermi-freeze.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...00-nvidia-550ti-sleep-wake-freeze-thread.html

There are various fixes mentioned, but some report they don't work.

So if you want to replace your graphics card, almost any of the nVidia GT/GTX 600 Kepler-based cards seem to work well, and there are plenty of options under € 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back