Contribute
Register

Repartitioned my Storage Drive! -- Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i5-3570
Graphics
GTX 460 v2
So... Long story short, I accidentally repartitioned my 2TB storage drive to fat32 in disk utility... I realized 2 microseconds after it finished that I chose the wrong drive to format. So now what? Can I get my data back? Can anybody recommend a solution?

Thx

So... Long story short, I accidentally repartitioned my 2TB storage drive to fat32 in disk utility... I realized 2 microseconds after it finished that I chose the wrong drive to format. So now what? Can I get my data back? Can anybody recommend a solution?

Thx

Restore from backup. If no backup, too bad - no way to get data back.
Solution - next time be more careful selecting the drive to partition - disconnecting allr drives othe than the one you want to partition is safest.

Actually... I have found some 3rd party utilities that will scan and allow recovery of files/folders. I was just thinking that perhaps there was some kind of "Partition" recovery software for Mac. I own a product for windows called "Active Partition Recovery" that searches for and recovers Partitions rather than files/folders on the the same disk... Was hoping someone might know of a similar solution for mac. File recovery is fine... but partition recover would be the easiest... I'm sure my data is still on the drive, it's just the partition table that has been changed.

Just incase anybody stumbles across this forum post, (even years from now...) I bought the new Active@ Partition Recovery 9 software as my owned edition was WAY too old. Their website states that it supports HFS+ volumes. After installing it on my Windows 8 laptop and connecting my accidentally Formatted hdd to the laptop via a USB-SATA adapter, I was able to recover my accidentally re-partitioned HDD. Just to let you know, this software recovered my lost HFS+ partition on the SAME drive it was lost on... I did not need to transfer files/folders to another HDD.

Cool and lucky, yet not as easy as doing a backup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back