Contribute
Register

Renderfarm with GA-H61N-USB3 i7-2600k 16GB - success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I compliment you on an insanely great and stylish case for your render farm? That is genius! Did you add vents in the label holders????

Well done, well done!!

The machine is gorgeous. I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a 7" LCD on the front of each drawer.

guess i have now a new project ;-)

cheers janosch

Pigumon said:
May I compliment you on an insanely great and stylish case for your render farm? That is genius! Did you add vents in the label holders????

Well done, well done!!

thanks alot for he comments. No, there are not additional vents behind the label holders. Just the grill to prevent from anything getting inside. you can see the backside of the front panel on our website. It's the center picture on the bottom row of images.

Gordo74 said:
Wow this is quite impressive. You may even save some money by using one of those PicoPSU's instead of a SFF psu. What are you using these for? How do you configure these in order to accept work from other machines simply to render? I have no clue how this works.

Thanks for the comments and useful hints.

As for the rendering. We are a small animation studio and rendering is a pretty important poart of the job. Commercial renderfarm boxes are quite expensive and we've been looking a long time for a reasonable solution.
As for the software. All machines have the rendering software installed and the rendering jobs are simply submitted to the render nodes via a manager application. There are free and commercial ones for that but I have written my own. It controls all the render jobs, stops and restarts jobs and keeps an eye on the progress. You can have a look at it here http://bit.ly/xw88KE

wow exactly what I'd like to build.. Im assuming I could use i3 or i5 as a start, seeing as Im on a budget, and this is more of a persona project rather than using it as a business venture. or would a better route be to get 1 i7 and build each mac drawer as I get the funds to continue?

rondo221 said:
wow exactly what I'd like to build.. Im assuming I could use i3 or i5 as a start, seeing as Im on a budget, and this is more of a persona project rather than using it as a business venture. or would a better route be to get 1 i7 and build each mac drawer as I get the funds to continue?

of course that depends on how much more renderpower is worth to you. I found that the i7 has lots of power for a reasonable price - at least compared to how much you spend on an actual Mac. And compared to the i5 the benchmarks of the i7 are much much better (at least from I have found out). But again I am no export on all that stuff. Think about what you want and how much you want to increase your renderspeed. And for the next you can build on that.

i recently startet my renderfarm but only with on i7 2600k now and here is the reason:

a) 1x 2600k = ca 6.8 on cinebench not overclocked
b) 1x 2500k = ca 5.3 on cinebench not overclocked

means that when you build 2x a) you have roughly 3x) b)

the 1x 2600k is 270€
the 1x 2500k is 187€

if you only compare the cpu for nearly the same power you have

2x a) 540€
3x b) 561€

go for the i7 2600k :)

cheers janosch

Will this work for Compressor/FCPX rendering?

VideoCruncher said:
Will this work for Compressor/FCPX rendering?

Would probably work if you have a rendermanager for that. Don't know if FCPX still ships with apple QMaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back