Contribute
Register

Renamed HDD and edited my home folder dir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've renamed one of my hard drives (From "Machintosh 2 to just "Machintosh""). I already had my home folder moved to the drive, then named "Machintosh 2", but when i changed the name i thought that i needed to change the path, and so i did. Now i can't log in to my user.

Can i solve this without doing an fresh install?

I've renamed one of my hard drives (From "Machintosh 2 to just "Machintosh""). I already had my home folder moved to the drive, then named "Machintosh 2", but when i changed the name i thought that i needed to change the path, and so i did. Now i can't log in to my user.

Can i solve this without doing an fresh install?

Do you mean your OS is on a different drive and the home folder is on "Machintosh"? Do you have an alias on the boot drive? If you boot into a terminal mode (-s) you should be able to fix the alias and be back in business.

Yes, my OS is on another hard drive("Machintosh HD"). Exactly how do i solve this in the terminal?

Yes, my OS is on another hard drive("Machintosh HD"). Exactly how do i solve this in the terminal?

The easiest way by far to fix things is to boot from the usb install thumb drive. When you get to the second screen select terminal from the utilities menu. From the terminal, type "resetpassword" without the quotes. You will be presented with a screen from which you can either reset your home user folder and acl, or if you wish, login as root, and create a password. Then reboot and this time allow the system to boot from the installed os x. Login as root. From System Preferences, you can fix the path to your Users home folders.

Thank you, that worked great! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back