Contribute
Register

removing .kext files -- how to do it correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
CPU
i3-4370
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If I delete my VoodooHDA.kext file from the Extensions folder, What should I do next? Do i need to drag & drop the entire Extensions folder to the Kext Utility for permissions repair?

Should I repair permissions using Disk Utility, as well?

I want to avoid Kernel Panics at boot, obviously.

To remove a kext file, drag to trash or right click and select move to trash. Empty trash. Reboot. Done.

To add a kext, drop kext icon on kext utility icon. repair permissions with disk utility. Reboot.

or

Put kext on desktop. Run KextBeast. repair permissions with disk utility. Reboot

StudioK said:
If I delete my VoodooHDA.kext file from the Extensions folder, What should I do next? Do i need to drag & drop the entire Extensions folder to the Kext Utility for permissions repair?

Should I repair permissions using Disk Utility, as well?

I want to avoid Kernel Panics at boot, obviously.

You must select the file(s) then CTRL- or RIGHT-click and select Move To Trash from the context menu. You cannot simply drag them out of the folder to the Desktop. That will just result in making a copy of the file(s).

One thing I'd like to do is edit the info file for the voodoo kext (set input gain = 0), then return it to Extensions folder.
I followed someone's steps to do this, but they did not offer enough detail how to use kext utility for repairing permissions, etc. What I tried did not work (dropping the voodoo.kext file onto the Kext Utility app icon)----KERNEL PANIC on reboot.

Anyone know how to do this properly?

StudioK said:
One thing I'd like to do is edit the info file for the voodoo kext (set input gain = 0), then return it to Extensions folder.
I followed someone's steps to do this, but they did not offer enough detail how to use kext utility for repairing permissions, etc. What I tried did not work (dropping the voodoo.kext file onto the Kext Utility app icon)----KERNEL PANIC on reboot.

Anyone know how to do this properly?

Kext Utility isn't required. You can use a freeware tool, BatChMod, to simply correct the permissions to those required for the Extensions folder - root for owner, wheel for group. Be sure to make the change to all the files contained in the bundle.

Alternatively, in the Terminal use sudo chown -R root:wheel kext_file

Kext Utility may not be necessary, but will it do the job? If so, I'd like to use that since that is what I have. I don't want to touch Terminal.

What about Disk utility? Can I use that?

Do I need to move the voodoo.kext file out of the extensions folder when I edit the Info.plist within the .kext package?

StudioK said:
Kext Utility may not be necessary, but will it do the job? If so, I'd like to use that since that is what I have. I don't want to touch Terminal.

What about Disk utility? Can I use that?

Do I need to move the voodoo.kext file out of the extensions folder when I edit the Info.plist within the .kext package?

You can use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions which should work. Alternatives to Kext Utility are Kext Wizard and KextDrop.

Kext Utility has been iffy because it doesn't seem fully compatible with late versions of Snow Leopard and with Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back