Contribute
Register

Removing G5 CPU's??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't want to buy a really long allen key, take an allen key head that would typically fit into a drill bit or changeable head screw driver and tape it into a long piece of metal or screwdriver! I managed to undo all my screws this way! Its not an elegant solution but it works!

I used a 1/4" socket extension. I had a T15 socket that worked fine, thought a 2.5mm allen socket would be better. The screws shouldn't be too tight. If you haven't done this before the hardware is unique. The screws basically wedge themselves into a threaded riser with a split in it. The screw expands the split riser and grabs the CPU. When you loosen the screw a few turns, the split riser lets go of the CPU and it should pull free - you don't even have to fully remove the screw. In my case, a gorilla tightened the screws and mushroomed the split riser. I had to reach in with needle nose pliers and mash them roughly back into shaped. Then a firm grip and rocked it loose with no damage. I removed the loosest one first so I could bet a better grip on the remaining one. Good luck.

In my latest build it was:

Dremel vs Heatsink.

(Heatsink Lost)

How'd you go about cutting it out?

Just hacked away at the base of the heatsink with the little drill bit attachment on the dremel until I could fit an Allen key in. Took all of 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back