Motherboard
Matebook D
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm sure they know about it, but intermittent issues like this are always difficult to fix. For all we know there could be code Apple receives from Intel that is flawed and the more people/companies involved in a problem like this the more difficult it is to arrive at a solution.

It does seem that they got rid of the problem in the HD4000 (and HD5000) drivers. Because it has not been widely reported here for Ivy Bridge 4540s and I haven't noticed any issues on my (new) MacBook Air (Haswell/HD5000).

RM, how is your new macbook air?
I want to buy a mac later this year, but I don't know if is better the air, or the pro.
Can you help me please?
P.S. with this new hardware, you can develop/improve more kexts/things, right?

Thanks!

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

RM, how is your new macbook air?
I want to buy a mac later this year, but I don't know if is better the air, or the pro.
Can you help me please?

Note: off-topic and I'll move this into its own thread.

It is definitely a very nice computer. I've been looking for a lightweight 13" 3# laptop for some time.

My list of features was rather specific:
- approx. 3 pounds
- screen: 1440x900, 1600x900, or 3200x1800 resolution
(note: no 1920x1080... it is an awkward [just plain wrong] resolution for a 13" screen)
- keyboard: firm and backlit
- must have no optical drive
- high quality construction
- SSD
- OS X + Windows compatibility
- gig ethernet
- no discrete graphics (integrated only -- for battery life/heat/noise)
- sd card reader
- usb3

Although it was expensive, a lot of the PC laptops I was looking at were almost the same cost and in some cases even more. I bought the model with 256GB SSD, added upgrades i7-4650U, and 8GB RAM. I decided against the MacBookPro 13" mainly because of the screen resolution, which is only 1280x800. Even in the retina model it is an effective resolution of 1280x800 (pixels are doubled on a 2560x1600 native resolution panel). You can get other resolutions (1680x1050 or 1440x900) but these are scaled (not just doubled) and a bit blurry (to me). Having Haswell now and its efficiency advantage was a big reason too.

As far as the MacBook Air, everything on this laptop just works correctly. The fan is off most of the time and when it is on, it is very quiet and not annoying. The way the lid opens with a single finger is amazing (the indent and the right amount of resistance). The SSD on this thing is very fast 750GB/sec in blackmagic (no real world difference from my ProBook, but...). The ULV i7 outperforms my i3 on the Probook by quite a bit so it is a welcome performance boost. The trackpad is not perfect but certainly the best I've ever used.

The only thing that drives me crazy is the way Apple places the Control and Fn keys in the wrong spot. It is swapped with the Fn key, such that the Fn is where the Control key is and the Control key is where the Fn key is. I'll be changing that using KeyRemap4Macbook but I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish the remap in Windows... hopefully I'll find a way.

So far, I haven't installed Windows, but I do have a couple versions of OS X on it... the one it came with and a newer one :)

P.S. with this new hardware, you can develop/improve more kexts/things, right?

We'll see. I already see one place where I have the trackpad driver for Synaptics wrong. "Dragging" via double-tap-hold works differently in that it works more like "Dragging" with "drag lock with a 1sec timeout." That is, you can double-tap-hold to start a drag, then lift up and start dragging again as long as it is within a second from lifting on the first drag. I will probably implement this in the Synaptics driver as it is handy to move things greater distance without always having drag lock or having to press a button to continue the drag. There's probably a few other things I'll learn too.

Note: off-topic and I'll move this into its own thread.

It is definitely a very nice computer. I've been looking for a lightweight 13" 3# laptop for some time.

My list of features was rather specific:
- approx. 3 pounds
- screen: 1440x900, 1600x900, or 3200x1800 resolution
(note: no 1920x1080... it is an awkward [just plain wrong] resolution for a 13" screen)
- keyboard: firm and backlit
- must have no optical drive
- high quality construction
- SSD
- OS X + Windows compatibility
- gig ethernet
- no discrete graphics (integrated only -- for battery life/heat/noise)
- sd card reader
- usb3

Although it was expensive, a lot of the PC laptops I was looking at were almost the same cost and in some cases even more. I bought the model with 256GB SSD, added upgrades i7-4650U, and 8GB RAM. I decided against the MacBookPro 13" mainly because of the screen resolution, which is only 1280x800. Even in the retina model it is an effective resolution of 1280x800 (pixels are doubled on a 2560x1600 native resolution panel). You can get other resolutions (1680x1050 or 1440x900) but these are scaled (not just doubled) and a bit blurry (to me). Having Haswell now and its efficiency advantage was a big reason too.

As far as the MacBook Air, everything on this laptop just works correctly. The fan is off most of the time and when it is on, it is very quiet and not annoying. The way the lid opens with a single finger is amazing (the indent and the right amount of resistance). The SSD on this thing is very fast 750GB/sec in blackmagic (no real world difference from my ProBook, but...). The ULV i7 outperforms my i3 on the Probook by quite a bit so it is a welcome performance boost. The trackpad is not perfect but certainly the best I've ever used.

The only thing that drives me crazy is the way Apple places the Control and Fn keys in the wrong spot. It is swapped with the Fn key, such that the Fn is where the Control key is and the Control key is where the Fn key is. I'll be changing that using KeyRemap4Macbook but I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish the remap in Windows... hopefully I'll find a way.

So far, I haven't installed Windows, but I do have a couple versions of OS X on it... the one it came with and a newer one :)

We'll see. I already see one place where I have the trackpad driver for Synaptics wrong. "Dragging" via double-tap-hold works differently in that it works more like "Dragging" with "drag lock with a 1sec timeout." That is, you can double-tap-hold to start a drag, then lift up and start dragging again as long as it is within a second from lifting on the first drag. I will probably implement this in the Synaptics driver as it is handy to move things greater distance without always having drag lock or having to press a button to continue the drag. There's probably a few other things I'll learn too.

What kind of temperatures do you get?

What kind of temperatures do you get?

I haven't even installed any temp monitoring software, so I can't say... But the fan is running only rarely (I heard it during a large software update).

I'll let you know when I find out.

I haven't even installed any temp monitoring software, so I can't say... But the fan is running only rarely (I heard it during a large software update).

I'll let you know when I find out.

Ok thanks. I'm running about 54-59 degrees on my Acer with only safari open.

Ok thanks. I'm running about 54-59 degrees on my Acer with only safari open.

A bit of difficulty in finding an app that will work on this new hardware...

Kozlek's HwMonitor readings are a little screwy (eg. some thing just don't look right), but I think the CPU numbers are accurate. At idle it is showing right around ~40C. Fan speed is showing at ~1100rpm, but it is not audible, so I'm not sure if that is accurate...

Congratulations, RM!

RehabMan, have you tried iStat Pro/Menus? There is a free trial. Plus, it works fine in my opinion, and in the opinion of many others.

RehabMan, have you tried iStat Pro/Menus? There is a free trial. Plus, it works fine in my opinion, and in the opinion of many others.

Thanks... I'll search and give it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back