Contribute
Register

Recycled Hardware - Thoughts, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - x79, EVGA 3X SLI Classified E760 - x58, SM X9SAE-z77, Gigabyte z87-ud3h
CPU
Core i7-3960X, Xeon E3-1275 v2, Core i7-920, Core i7-4770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 780Ti Classified; EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper, EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2; HD4000, HD4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Greetings Everyone! I hope everyone's had a Happy Holiday season; please stay safe on New Year's Day!!!

I had some questions about some hardware sitting on my shelf. Rather than go out and purchase all new hardware for a Hackintosh build, I'd prefer to recycle hardware I already own. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a few items?

Compatible: Yes or No

Western Digital Black - 1TB HDD w/ 32MB Cache
Patriot Intel XMP Memory - 4 x 2GB @ 1600 MHz

Hehe - well that's really all I would need besides Mountain Lion and a flashed ASUS P8z77-V Deluxe motherboard (which is now available thanks to the community), since I'm going to purchase a SanDisk Extreme SSD.

The only reason I asked is because it seems as though all the recommended builds use Corsair Vengeance memory modules and Seagate 1TB HDD's.

Thanks Again!!!

Oh, shoot!

I forgot to add, while I'm ok using the onboard graphics of the Intel Core i7 3770K - though I'd rather not ...

Compatible - Yes or No:

EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper II

Would it be silly to think that a SAMSUNG SSD, the 830 or 840 - vanilla or pro series SSD's, would work with a Hackintosh.

So,

Compatible - Yes or No:

Samsung 840 120GB Sata III SSD

Thank you very much, and any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Yes on everything. OSX gives no cares about your RAM or HDD. The GFX card is supported since it is the 5xx series from nVidia.

Great, thanks!!!

Any thoughts on whether you'd prefer, say for example, an Intel 520 SSD or a Samsung 840 - the Samsung will probably be the vanilla model and not the Pro. I think they're relatively comparable, but the Pro definitely has better R/W-IOPS specs.

The Samsung has a 3-Year warranty vs. 5-Years for the Intel, so obviously, that's +1 for Intel.

Any other preferences for SSD's you might have?

i would personally go with either a samsung 830/840 or a crucial m4 if i were buying an ssd today.

Thanks for the reply samisnake. I wasn't able to cancel my order in time from Amazon, but they said I could refuse the package when it arrives. I bought the Intel 520 (reseller kit) it's boxed and sealed - just feels more legit. Anyway, it was 38% off the regular price. I bought the drive for $109.99. I think it's MSRP at launch was $200 ...

I was going to switch to the Samsung 840, a super cheap $99, believe it or not. Still, not going with a top-of-the-line device, in this case the Pro version, isn't something I typically do. Not because I'm rich either, I work very hard for my money, and sacrifice a lot just so I can have some killer componenents.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Is there any particular reason why you choose Samsung over Intel? Is it because of the Sandforce controller, or because the 'original' price per GB is too much.

My drive will arrive on Friday, so I can still choose to refuse the order. I know you have quite a bit of experience on the threads and are obviously well qualified, but could you tell me why you might choose one drive over the other.

I might be a noob when it comes to a Hackintosh, but I'm certainly not a noob when it comes to technology and building PC's. I've been doing it for quite some time. So, don't dumb it down for me; if there's anything I don't understand - I'll look up. Another thing I usually don't do is make purchases in haste, but I'm itching to build a Hackintosh. Not a good thing if I make poor purchasing decisions.

I appreciate the time as I know you're in high demand.

Happy Holidays.

i would personally go with either a samsung 830/840 or a crucial m4 if i were buying an ssd today.

I guess the bottom line is compatibility. Amazon couldn't cancel the order in time, but said I could refuse the delivery if I wanted, so I went ahead and ordered the Samsung 840 as well. Both will be arriving on Friday.

So, all things being equal, which SSD will offer greater compatibility with a Hackintosh? Which one should I keep? I'll probably be setting up a dual-boot system; but, I'm not going to keep both of these drives. I'm using an OCZ Vertex III MaxIOPS SSD for Windows 8, and would like to toss in another SSD for my Hackintosh.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my original post, samisnake. You're a good man, or woman, or snake!!!

So, all things being equal, which SSD will offer greater compatibility with a Hackintosh?
They're all compatible. The preferences for different SSDs are based on different requirements for speed and reliability. But they'll all work.

my personal reason would be the marvell vs sandforce issue.

i cant see anywhere where the 520 is better than the 830 or 840. all round, it seems as though the 830 is a better performer, added with the marvell 'reliability' i would put my money on the samsung or crucial.

i know people say that the SF issue is cleared, and that there might be scenarios where they are faster, but what it comes down to for me is if i had a SF ssd, id constantly be wondering when its about to die.

They're all compatible. The preferences for different SSDs are based on different requirements for speed and reliability. But they'll all work.

Thanks DBP,

That'll help with troubleshooting. At least I'll be able to check off SSD incompatiblity if I run into trouble during the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back