Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell n5010 (Clover Legacy)
CPU
i5-480/HM57
Graphics
HD, 1366 x 768
I'm in the middle of hacking my quicksilver into a hackintosh.

Looking for recommendations on a cheap power, quiet power supply that will fit with minimal or no modification of the case. Was probably going to use the video ports on the mobo for right now but may install a video card down the line.

thanks

If you don't want to drill new holes to mount the ATX PSU then you'll want one with a rear/inner 80mm exhaust fan vs a large 140mm bottom innner fan. If you went with a PSU with a large bottom fan it would be up against the case wall. I know antec makes a few like this in their lower price range, you're still probably going to need to trim a few inches to get the power plug to line up but nothing crazy.

Well, my rig is made from a "Graphite G4" and i think the internal lay-out is a little different, but when i put in my Antec PSU (which has a big bottom fan), i still have like almost one centimeter of space left between the PSU case and the back-wall of the G4-case. So, in theory, the PSU can still draw in enough air. Just to be safe, i drilled some holes in the top of my case. Take a look at my build for pictures.

And i found this thread.This guy just moved the mounting-bracket a few millimeters and drilled two (?) new holes:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g4/28828-project-quicksilver-power-mac-i7.html

I tried to get an Antec PSU with the fan in the back, but they don´t seem to sell them anymore, you only get the new-style ones, with the big fans. But maybe that is just a problem in Germany.

Newegg and Amazon sell the Antec models with rear fan in North America.

As far as I can tell this one will fit with little or no modification to the plastic around the plug, but I'm not sure how the power switch will clear. They also make a 350W version that doesn't have a 6pin PCI express cable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004

Pretty much look for one with the mounting hole right next to the power plug.

The Antec Earthwatts series has the power on the opposite side so you'd need to cut the plastic to use it:

l3DrMne.png

You may need to cut a hole to clear the switch anyways but I'm not sure.

I have the 500 Watt Antec Basiq. You can either hard-wire or cover over the switch (the quicksilver didn't have a power switch anyway). I took the guts out of my Antec, and with some modification and a couple of 10mm stand-offs, fit it in the stock p/s case using the original A/C receptacle. (You will void the Antec warranty in the process.) I then soldered the leads of the switch, to the little red voltage switch of the Quicksilver p/s. (I can't see cutting the plastic just to fit a p/s, when the cases are nearly identical.) The tiny volt switch can be operated with a toothpick, pencil/pen or small screwdriver, and also prevents accidental shut off, and can also be used to prevent someone from powering the machine on. Previously I had considered moving the power switch inside too, in order to disable the machine, while it is locked up. Using the existing voltage switch seemed the most elegant solution, since it occupies the space of the plastic cut-out, and now is actually functional...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back