Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
ok, this is a VERY specific question. maybe someone smarter than me or who has somehow been in the same situation can help.

i'm trying to record a phone interview that i'm placing through my hackintosh (via handoff with my phone). i had it all set up with a program called Loopback to route audio from my headphones and the facetime app so that i could record it in Quicktime. i tested it once last week, all worked perfectly.

then i updated to Catalina over the weekend.

now, when i try the same thing in catalina, the other caller's audio sounds like it's slowed down and garble-y when recording. the audio actually sounds fine before i hit record, but turns to $hit after i hit record. my audio sounds fine. i tried recording youtube audio. that sounds fine. it's only facetime audio when recording. i even tried another app by the same company that is a more direct solution: Audio Hijack. you can layer the system audio and record all from one app. same problem.

here's a sample. that's me in the beginning saying "hello," sounds fine. then the garble sounding stuff is a recording i called in to.

when i try the same setup from my real macbook pro on catalina, it works fine. so this is some kind of weird hackintosh problem.

can anyone help?

ok, after hours of playing around with it, i figured out that my usb webcam was somehow affecting my setup. if i unplug the usb webcam, then the recorded audio for facetime calls becomes normal again. i still would appreciate it if someone were to figure out why that may be, and if there's a fix to it besides me having to unplug my webcam.

however, unplugging the webcam is a minor annoyance, so no big deal even if no one has any thoughts. thanks.

Last edited:
might it be some kind of issue with my usb setup that would cause this? is there any nuance to usb setup these days? i feel like my usb ports have mostly always just worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back