Contribute
Register

Recommended Monitor for 2560x1440 HiDPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Lenovo 2K LCD 23.8" monitor (L24q-20). In its native resolution, text and UI appear too small for my eyes. I enabled HiDPI in order to get larger text without scarifying resolution. The problem is that the maximum HiDPI resolution I can get with this monitor is 720p, which renders things extremely big!

I'm thinking of replacing this monitor with another 24" one that can provide 2560x1440 (2K) HiDPI resolution. So, any recommendations please?

Thank you.

I’m not a gamer. I mostly do office work and also photo/video editing from time to time.

I’m not a gamer. I mostly do office work and also photo/video editing from time to time.
Then pretty much every monitor from reputable manufacture will suit your needs. I would look at monitors in your price point and read reviews about them.

Then pretty much every monitor from reputable manufacture will suit your needs. I would look at monitors in your price point and read reviews about them.
I’m looking for a monitor that will allow me to have 2560x1440 HiDPI. I read that any true 4k monitor should allow this, but I’m not sure.

I’m looking for a monitor that will allow me to have 2560x1440 HiDPI. I read that any true 4k monitor should allow this, but I’m not sure.
I'm unclear on what you want exactly. Do you want a high DPI monitor that scales down to 2560x1440? That would then be a 5120x2880 monitor (i.e. 5K monitor) and those are pretty expensive. A 4K monitor won't scale well to 2560x1440 so edges will be soft due to pixel interpolation.

If you want 2560x1440 but bigger than on a 24" monitor, why not get a 27" or even a 32" monitor at that resolution?

On my hack I run dual 27" 2560x1440 monitors, and decided not to get 4K monitors as I can't resolve the difference in normal viewing. My iMac at work is 27" 5K and is beautiful but not worth trying to replicate at home.

macOS has a HiDPI resolution mode that was first introduced with Retina MacBook Pros in 2012. In this mode, the computer renders the display at the selected "theoretical" resolution then scales it (via software) to the monitor's native (physical) resolution. For example, if the selected HiDPI resolution is 1080p and the monitor's physical resolution is 2K, then the os internally renders everything at 1080p, scales it to 2K, then sends it to the monitor via HDMI or DisplayPort.

If HiDPI is enabled, the os decides which HiDPI resolutions are available for the user to choose from during boot up. With my current monitor, the os gives me the option to choose 720p HiDPI resolution or lower, which is not good for practical use. I'm asking here for advise from users who have enabled 2K (2560x1440) HiDPI about the best monitor to get.

Edit: the advantage of using HiDPI over just outputting lower resolution to higher resolution monitor is the clarity (sharpness) of image, hence the marketing name Apple used for this feature: "Retina"

Last edited:
macOS has a HiDPI resolution mode that was first introduced with Retina MacBook Pros in 2012. In this mode, the computer renders the display at the selected "theoretical" resolution then scales it (via software) to the monitor's native (physical) resolution. For example, if the selected HiDPI resolution is 1080p and the monitor's physical resolution is 2K, then the os internally renders everything at 1080p, scales it to 2K, then sends it to the monitor via HDMI or DisplayPort.

If HiDPI is enabled, the os decides which HiDPI resolutions are available for the user to choose from during boot up. With my current monitor, the os gives me the option to choose 720p HiDPI resolution or lower, which is not good for practical use. I'm asking here for advise from users who have enabled 2K (2560x1440) HiDPI about the best monitor to get.

Edit: the advantage of using HiDPI over just outputting lower resolution to higher resolution monitor is the clarity (sharpness) of image, hence the marketing name Apple used for this feature: "Retina"
Well 1920 x 1080 is (2K) 2560x1440 is also (2k) even though it is closer to 2.5k. My 4k Monitors scale ok to 2560 x1440 but HiDPI is exclusive as far as I know to only retina screens in Big Sur so it might be a moot point. As @agrajag said if you want a good-looking 2560x1440HiDPI scaled you need to have a monitor that does 5120x2880 (5k). The reason your 2560x1440 is only able to get 720p at hidpi is 1440/2 = 720. Hidpi is a division and since pixels can not be divided the resolution needs to be a factor of 2 for the best quality image. If 1440 was too small and 720 was too big then maybe you need a 4k monitor and run it at 1080. But like I said I am pretty sure apple is dropping hidpi for non-retna displays in Big Sur not sure where I read it but normally when I remember reading something I did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back