GTX 670
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I built a hackintosh for a friend recently and with the support of this community it was relatively easy (YAY thanks :D ). I basically used tonymac's recommend build (Budget Power Build 2) and avdo's method to get everything working. Now I just found out that I need to add WiFi and Bluetooth. I'm a little nervous about compatibly and sleep issues. From what I've read on the forums these seem to work but I wanted to run it by everyone else first:

Asus USB-BT211 Mini Bluetooth Dongle
http://www.a-power.com/product-18804

ASUS PCI-G31 Wireless Network Adapter 802.11
http://www.a-power.com/product-16118

Will these work or is there better options out there?

Thanks,
G.

Here is the exact specs of the build:
Motherboard: GA-H55M-UD2H
CPU: Intel Core i7-870 2.93 GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 Core i3, i5, i7 Memory Kit
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB
Graphics: GeForce 9500 GT (from and actual macpro)

I have the same problem with the bluetooth adaptor - I want to get the magic mouse working - Tony's build recommends the targus bluetooth and else where people suggest the asus bt21 - all the older models are osx compatible as early macs lack bluetooth, later macs have bluetooth so manufacturers dropped auto-osx compatability. Eg the BT211 ans targus mini. I have tried in vain to get a bt21 but no luck will try for the targus. Hope this helps. (note the targus model is ACB20US>

I think the best is using the apple parts on ebay. There are threads about using recycled macbook wifi and bluetooth on this site.

I haven't done that myself yet but I use a rocketfish bt dongle from bestbuy.

this one (it was $7.99 clearance when I bought it :) )

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish% ... Id=8819282

Thanks all,
I actually found a no name bluetooth dongle that a friend had laying around and it seems to work (doesn't wake from sleep but no big deal).

so as far as wifi, I'm gathering that unless it's a repurposed apple product there isn't a lot of options out there?

Grimlock said:
Thanks all,
I actually found a no name bluetooth dongle that a friend had laying around and it seems to work (doesn't wake from sleep but no big deal).

so as far as wifi, I'm gathering that unless it's a repurposed apple product there isn't a lot of options out there?

Wake from sleep can be fixed with notshys guide, it will show you how to edit your Bluetooth kext and fix the wake from sleep. It worked on my rocketfish dongle.

I just purchased the asus PCI-G31 Wireless adapter and i cant get it to work with my setup. When It installs sucessfully but just before it gets finished I get a System extension cannot be used. The system extention "/System/Library/Extentions/RT61CardBusDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update...... Im updated to 10.6.5 with the iBoot/multibeast install. The drivers are for 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I just bought a couple of each. I will report back on how well they work.

As far as the bluetooth adapter goes, I just use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026S ... os_product

The only problem is that it seems to really need line of sight, which may defeat the purpose for some, but doesn't really bother me at all.

OK!

I ordered the cards and adaptors when I made this post (Wednesday April 27) and last night (May 10th) they arrived.

I now have one of them installed and I'll let the results speak for themselves:

With ethernet cable -> Linksys 2.4GHz 54Mbps router -> Roadrunner

With wifi adapter + miniPCI -> PCI adapter -> to Linksys 2.4GHz 54Mbps router -> Roadrunner

As you can see there isn't an appreciable difference between the two results.

Looks like a very good option!!!

I'm using Dlink DWA-125 Wifi USB, there is MAC driver available to download from their site as well,

Work smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back