i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It's come to my attention that my build (Core i7 6700K - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH - AMD RX 580) will not run Ventura. I realize that at some point I will need to switch to a real Mac (Studio or Mini probably), but for now I would like to explore the option of upgrading my CustoMac. Would it be possible for me to just upgrade my motherboard and processor (to a series 10)? I suppose I would have to also upgrade my RAM (I currently have 64 GB).

Just wondering if I can get there for around $500.

My use case is mostly Adobe products (InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom) and Final Cut pro.

It's come to my attention that my build (Core i7 6700K - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH - AMD RX 580) will not run Ventura. I realize that at some point I will need to switch to a real Mac (Studio or Mini probably), but for now I would like to explore the option of upgrading my CustoMac. Would it be possible for me to just upgrade my motherboard and processor (to a series 10)? I suppose I would have to also upgrade my RAM (I currently have 64 GB).

Just wondering if I can get there for around $500.

My use case is mostly Adobe products (InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom) and Final Cut pro.
you can spoof your skylake to a kabylake system

ie replace iMac17,x to iMac18,x

new serials may need to be generated

Z170, 6700K, and RX 580 should be able to run Ventura fine.

Try disabling IGPU and use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

This thread suggests otherwise:

Don't use IGPU. When macOS tries to access the HEVC encoders/decoders and it's not there, I don't know what will happen.

Use iMacPro1,1 with IGPU disabled.

I spoofed my Skylake laptop that has integrated Intel HD530 graphics to a kabylake smbios and ig-platform with no issues

newer version of whatevergreen has also been updated for this to happen:

Try disabling IGPU and use iMacPro1,1 system definition.
Is there a guide anywhere on how to change the smbios from iMac 17,1 to iMac Pro 1,1? I'm using opencore for my bootloader.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to change the smbios from iMac 17,1 to iMac Pro 1,1? I'm using opencore for my bootloader.
edit your config.plist

also edit your info.plist in your USB kext

Open config.plist with OpenCore Configurator and go to config.plist > PlatformInfo > DataHub - Generic - PlatformNVRAM.

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 7.10.14 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back