Contribute
Register

Recommendations for Silent/Quiet Video Cards? (STRIX?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I've heard many people recommending the STRIX variety of graphics card for silent/quiet builds. I've been following a Build template from a ****** user which makes use of an older "Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX" model. However this card is no longer available.

Does anyone have any experience with successfully installing other models of STRIX video cards into their Hackintosh builds? Any reason why the would *not* work?

I'm also hoping to use OSX 10.8 if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer!!

The GTX 750 Ti now requires Yosemite and the additional nvidia drivers. If you wish to run an older version of OS X, then remember that 10.8 Mountain Lion was available new in 2012/2013 and will only support graphics cards up to that point in time.

When Mavericks was originally released the additional nvidia drivers supported this card but support was pulled by nvidia some time ago and it is no longer possible to use a GTX750 Ti with Mavericks.

You have not followed the site rules and added your hardware motherboard model, CPU model and graphics to your profile or signature - so I do not know if the rest of your build components will also work with this older version of OS X.

Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Best advice would be to find a used GTX 660 or similar card with a decent large cooler that is taller than the rear IO shield slot on the card.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-august-2013.106788/#gfx_cards

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for pointing out the missed info in my profile! I've updated it.

I have run OSX 10.8 on my Macbook Pro with no problems for years, so ideally I'm hoping to duplicate my environment from that laptop to this new tower build. However, if I need to go with OSX 10.12 then I guess it is not the end of the world. I am just worried about compatibility problems with USB Drivers for my audio gear.

[Edit: Here is my full current build list!]
CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card (This model NLA! So trying to find a suitable STRIX style replacement which will not engage the fans below a threshold temperature)
Case:
Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Last edited:
Your main hardware looks fine for running El Capitan or Sierra. About the GPU options, it is still possible to get a GTX 750Ti as a new card in some parts of the world. Other slightly newer options to look for that should run without fans until they hit about 60 degrees Centigrade would be the GTX 950, GTX 960 or if you will be running Sierra then the GTX 1050 or GTX 1050Ti would both be available brand new as these are current models so you should be able to get at a good price.

If you like to produce music, then be aware that the forum has a dedicated music section:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/music.21/

Thanks Adrian!

So it looks like regardless of my GPU, I'm building a tower which is going to have to run a newer OS. I am nervous about this but I guess I may as well get comfortable on the latest supported platform while I'm making such a big shift to a new computer.

The GTX 1050Ti seems like it would be a good option for me right now... I will look into it!

Okay, one more question because there seem to be a lot of cards which have the phrase "GTX 1050 Ti"

I've been recommended a "ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 ROG Strix" by a local shop. I've found videos demonstrating this specific model and it sounds very quiet. However I don't see any ASUS models listed on the buyer's guide.

Does it matter which brand is producing the card? (ie. Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc.)

The buyer's guide tends to lean towards listing models that should be widely available worldwide that conform to the reference design of the board and match type/number of video outputs. In real life most people should experience no adverse effect of using a similar card from any other manufacturer. I do not see any issue in you using an Asus Strix model of any modern nvidia GPU in your build. :thumbup:

Last edited:
The buyer's guide tends to lean towards listing models that should be widely available worldwide that conform to the reference design of the board and match type/number of video outputs. In real life most people should experience no adverse effect of using a similar card from any other manufacturer. I do not see any issue in you using an Asus Strix model of any modern nvidia GPU in your build. :thumbup:

Thanks a bunch! I've actually realized that I have an onboard GPU that might fit my purposes as well... going to give it a shot with that and then if I really do need a full fledged dedicated GPU I'll make use of your advice. Cheers :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back